BC for my 11 yr old son

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minimal BP/W rigs are also very comfy in the water (I dive with a cheap DGX singles BP/W and I love it), but the nylon straps are quite wide even for me who is mostly fully a fully grown adult and they tend to chafe a lot on skin. DGX's backplate in particular is decently large and I can see a small person being uncomfortable in it. There are smaller plates and it's a really good experience to be able to put your BP/W together how you like it, but if you want to keep enough nylon material on to be able to adjust it as they grow, you're probably going to end up with a lot of nylon left over taking up space unless you're thinking to just buy more nylon and redo the harness when they get too big for the first one.

I ended up finding him a bc. I dont think i want the bp and wing for him after talking to the instructor on my way home from work. Maybe when he gets a little more experience. I will be going that way in the near future.

@scubaaaronh
The horror !
A pole fisherman asking questions on a SCUBA board !
I will lower my standards and attempt to reply

My son Dr, Sam IV grew up in a pioneer OC dive family and has been diving ,since he was very young child, now approaching almost 50 years. He is a NAUI (LIFE) and PADI Instructor, a 1997 SSI Pro 5000 recipient, the youngest diver listed in the 1993 Who's Who of SCUBA Diving and board certified ER & Scrips trained Hyperbaric doctor.

He began his very youthful diving career using a personal flotation vest aka PFV made from a US Divers flotation bag a Sea Tec-Inflatable systems hose and a dump valve from SCUBA Pro unit.

On his 7th Christmas he received one of the first BIUs, a full size "At Pac" which are no longer produced. He used this full size unit for about 15 years, when we both agreed it was time for scraping.

I would based on our experiences suggest a BUI of your choice based on an adult evaluation and his color ( so long as it was bright and very visible underwater and even topside.

It was always stressed in our household that diving with Dad and Mom was an earned privilege, not a right ! School and church were paramount, diving was an ancillary activity that was earned by top grades ,school and church activities.

Dive logs were always completed and must contain a new never previously described item discovered in the UW world -- Now almost 50 years later reading the logs are a source of enjoyment at family gatherings

There is a recent article in NAUI Sources about me and my son.
I will extract his portion as an attachment so you can read or ignore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Attachment:

Samuel Miller IV, was a diver almost from birth. Having first mastered bathtub diving as a toddler-the regulator had a long hose and the cylinder was on the bathroom floor-he graduated to the family pool at age 4 using a MSA cylinder with homemade backpack. At 5 years old, he was in the Pacific Ocean. "Not too deep and not far from shore, but he was underwater, and in his own mind, he was a diver," said his father. Miller IV had a lot of encouragement from his family and also from family friends who were diving luminaries themselves.

The photo shows "Sammy Miller" on his sixth birthday getting ready for a dive with Dr. Charlie Brown, NAUI's medical adviser, with whom Miller IV dived many times. Brown was interested in learning how a young child adapted to diving.

By the time he reached his l0th birthday, Miller IV had logged more than 100 open-water dives, and that year, he completed the Los Angeles County and NAUI Scuba Diver courses, although he was too young to be certified. During the summer of his 12th birthday, he was accepted and successfully completed a 40-hour US Divers equipment repair course. At age 18, he became the youngest person listed in Who's Who of Scuba Diving.

In SoCal diving circles, Miller IV was considered a top hunter and freediving spearfisher. When he turned 18, he was accepted for provisional membership in the Long Beach Neptunes Spearfishing Club, and then into full membership.

In his spare time, Miller IV designed, fabricated and sold custom-built teakwood spearguns. His guns had a custom-length balance bar measured to the user's arm length and a handle that was shaped from a mold of the owner's gloved hand in the shooting position. During college, he served on weekends as a deckhand on the dive charter boat Golden Doubloon.

In 1991, Miller IV became a NAUI Instructor (NAUI 13227) and taught scuba at one of the Southern California dive shops. He won a scholarship to the Catalina Chamber course, completed their internship and became a qualified chamber technician. While waiting to enter medical school, he began technical mixed gas diving with his friend Jeff Bozanic, making deep technical dives on a regular basis off the California coast.

After completing medical school in Pomona, California, and an emergency room residency in Kingman, Arizona, he won a fellowship in hyperbaric diving medicine at University of San Diego Medical Center. At the end of the fellowship in 2008, he accepted a position at Marion Regional Medical Center in Santa Maria, California, where he is currently their director of ER/Hyperbaric Medicine.

Miller III summed up much of the feelings of him and his family: "The ocean provides bountiful gifts. It's a recreational area to protect for all present and future generations. Everybody should be able to enjoy it.

SDMIII

@Marie13 CE typical SoCal diver

DD

I never found that to be the case... but maybe that's just me. I don't know why it would be different for a child, though. The rigid backplate has always been more comfortable than a soft jacket. Maybe padded plates are different.

Are you under 5' like the op's son? While a regular plate fits most, both taller and shorter divers complain about the fit. That is why their are different size plates. For a growing child I don't think it is worth spending over $200 for a small Halcyon plate.

Also it is much easier to adjust the webbing on an Oxycheq soft plate because the webbing slides through waist rings rather than slots. A triglide can be added to stop the sliding if desired.

So i am torn on what to buy for my sone. I am looking at some lesser expensive BCs as he will grow out of it probably in 2 years as he is in the growing like a weed stage. He is currently 4'7" and 88 lbs. I am torn between a youth size BC or getting a small which may be a little big but allow some room for growth. Whats everyones thought? And with his height and weight do you think a small would be to big. Problem i am having is none of the shops around me have a small in stock to try and see what the fit would be like.
Have you decided whether or not integrated weights are a "must have," a "nice to have," or a "not at all feature"? That will help advice quite a bit.

On the Rogue, your description of his height/weight is a bit under the lower range for the size small: 4'8"-5'7", 90-105 lbs. I would definitely NOT buy one without trying it on, as I think it will probably be too loose to do the trick. Now, I really like my Rogue, but modularity for future growth is of moderate value. If he grows a full size, only the weight pockets, bladder, and inflator hose can be transferred to new size M components. Those are about 42% of the original MSRP that transfers over, the other 58% is new components.

I looked over other Aqualung BCDs, and only the Wave XS would fit his current measurements. The only other items that come close are the size Small women's items, with a lower size range similar to the Rouge/Outlaw.

So you might have to bite the bullet and get a youth BCD for now, or something available in XS.

If you are trying on BCDs, one trick that may help: if you are close to fit right, but not quite there. try cross clipping the shoulder straps "Frito Bandito" style in an "X" across his chest. That might be just the added touch you need to get a snug fit.

I ended up finding him a bc. I dont think i want the bp and wing for him after talking to the instructor on my way home from work. Maybe when he gets a little more experience. I will be going that way in the near future.

A wing with a soft back plate is just like a back inflate BC. For an example see For Sale - Oxycheq Mach V 18# Wing

This wing has a deluxe harness but the plate can use standard webbing.

The Dive Rite TransPac is essentially a soft plate/wing and had has served well for my kids.

What's the advantage of the softplate over the standard BP/W? I hear people recommend them, but I never felt that a regular plate was uncomfortable. And it sure is nice to have those 6 lbs of balance right next to your lungs and your center of mass....

I just got back from a trip where I lugged gear for me and one of my kids with me. I packed an Al BP/w for me and a TransPac for my kid. Both were ok, but the rigid plate was a little more cumbersome to pack and carry in/out of hotel rooms so everything could dry out and not be in the rental car. Although I like my BP/W.. I might bring another Softplate/Wing for me next time.

What's the advantage of the softplate over the standard BP/W? I hear people recommend them, but I never felt that a regular plate was uncomfortable. And it sure is nice to have those 6 lbs of balance right next to your lungs and your center of mass....
OP said his kid is 4'7", that's too short for a normal backplate that's designed for someone well over a foot taller than that.

Sorry but that instructor is a quack, bp/w has nothing to do with experience. Hopefully whatever BC you got was cheap. We train new divers in bp/w's and it is by far the better way to teach. What was his logic for why he needs to wait?
What @ams511 said is true though, that soft plate is no different than a back inflate BC for all intents and purposes.

@Caveeagle the Transpac is going to be too big for someone 4'7" too

OP said his kid is 4'7", that's too short for a normal backplate that's designed for someone well over a foot taller than that.

Sorry but that instructor is a quack, bp/w has nothing to do with experience. Hopefully whatever BC you got was cheap. We train new divers in bp/w's and it is by far the better way to teach. What was his logic for why he needs to wait?
What @ams511 said is true though, that soft plate is no different than a back inflate BC for all intents and purposes.

@Caveeagle the Transpac is going to be too big for someone 4'7" too

His logic was that a wing pushes people forward he said you can counter balance with weight but he wont be using very much weight so he was concerned about that, where the jacket style will keep him more upright on the surface. When he gets bigger i will probably go that route for him if he continues to dive. I got him a bc for 100 bucks brand new that his kid never used, that will probably last him a couple years. We will see after that point if he continues to like it and if so then i will go the bp & w. I dont want to spend 500 or 600 bucks on a wing plate straps for an 11 yr old. He could change his mind tomorrow and say he doesn't want to do it anymore. I know that it can grow with him but i am concerned with his interest as well. All the other equipment i need for him i already have from when i upgraded equipment so to get him in a full set for gear for 100 bucks is pretty good to start out and see if his interest in diving continues. Could be like my buddy did the classes out layed over a grand in gear. His daughter wont dive now. She used the equipment twice.

@scubaaaronh sorry to tell you but he has no clue what he's talking about. They only push you forward if you are grossly overweighted and have your weights placed incorrectly. If he was a halfway decent instructor he would a. know that, and b. know how to fix it vs the lazy route of just using a jacket.

$100 for a new BC is great provided it fits. Half the battle with jackets on small people is getting a safe amount of lift *i.e. if you're diving locally and he's in a thick suit, most extra small bc's do not have enough lift to dive safely*, and getting them to fit comfortably is really difficult.
If it fits though, you can't beat that deal so can't complain about that, but I will complain about an instructor spreading lies to prevent you from purchasing a vastly superior piece of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom