BC Hitchhiker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Roaches! these guys are adapting quick! no enviroment will be safe!

(that last pic looks even more "roachy" than the OP one)

It is an Eelgrass Isopod Idotea resecata or Pentidotea resecata

Sorry, alien life form did sound cooler.

here's a picture of a related Isopod in my cold water system

Agree - definitely an isopod. See them all the time in the marine mammal exhibit at the New England Aquarium in Boston when I am in there cleaning up after the harbor seals.

Interesting...I found something similar to that floating in my rinse tub after I got home from a Florida Keys trip...I just thought it was something that crawled in something when it was drying after a dive???

Hmmmm and I WAS drinking some Romulan ale that trip come to think of it!!!!

Anything wrong with simply calling it a "bug"?

Nope.
But I wouldn't recommend putting it under a lamp shade if you want to "listen in" on soviet conversations. They tend to dry up and blow away.

Probably the most common terrestrial isopod is the sowbug, or 'roly poly'.

Here are links to some awesome photos of various forms.

Isopod gallery

Isopods, Copepods, Barnacles, Amphipods, Sea Spiders, Horseshoe Crabs (Crustaceans) Starfish Photos

...and for the sci-fi fans like me, here's a photo of the giant marine isopod (up to 16 inches long!). When I was in grad school, one of the professors worked on these, so dried ones were all over her office and lab.

Giant Isopod - Deep Sea Creatures on Sea and Sky

380353_028542ead3.jpg

Also, there are no 'bugs' in marine systems, but there are a few species of Pycnogonids (marine spiders).

Have fun!

Wendy

Probably the most common terrestrial isopod is the sowbug, or 'roly poly'.

Here are links to some awesome photos of various forms.

Isopod gallery

Isopods, Copepods, Barnacles, Amphipods, Sea Spiders, Horseshoe Crabs (Crustaceans) Starfish Photos

...and for the sci-fi fans like me, here's a photo of the giant marine isopod (up to 16 inches long!). When I was in grad school, one of the professors worked on these, so dried ones were all over her office and lab.

Giant Isopod - Deep Sea Creatures on Sea and Sky

380353_028542ead3.jpg

Also, there are no 'bugs' in marine systems, but there are a few species of Pycnogonids (marine spiders).

Have fun!

Wendy

Well, thank you Very Much, Wendy. No papers graded, son's homework not done, and hubby stiff kneed from sqautting here for the past hour going through the links you posted......... They are so cool. :)

Check with a fly fisherman in your area, they try to duplicate these insect nymphs in fly tying.
If it was in my area, I could find it in one of my fly tying books.

There are a few marine insects. I believe they're all intertidal, exceptions being the handful of ocean striders in the Halobates group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom