BC question for Amputee.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see Tobin has already posted, and he is the man; but for what it's worth, a back mounted bc or wing that has the corrugated hose in the center can be adjusted so that the elbow is clocked to point over either shoulder. Additionally, some older BC had the option of placing the corrugated hose on either side.
http://cgi.ebay.com/US-DIVER-CALYPSO-SBC-SCUBA-BC-VEST-L-/190403405056?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2c54ed6500

Also, other USD had a very simple inflator/deflator mechanism positioned on the diver's right.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=vintage%20us%20divers%20bc&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

If you're into DIY, here is a thread that shows how to place the elbow pretty much anywhere you want it and close the original hole.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/2807870-post20.html

c

have you looked at a seaquest pearl with i3 it is a lever mounted on the left side. it can be used without a hand and there is still a manual dump on the right shoulder. give it a look.

Sorry If I'm a bit confused by the discussion here. Every BC that I own will easily allow the movement of the of the inflator hose from left to right. But, to be honest I dive with several amputees and no one ever has a problem. I find the utilization of the retractable hangers to be helpful for one handed opperation also.. . the use of an integrated safe second removes one hose from the equation. And, everyone seems to forget that the majority of inflator hoses will dump at the shoulder if you pull down on them. al long as your shoulder is higher than the rest of the BC there is no reason why you have to hold the hose above your head.. . I never hold mine above my head because I have bad shoulders. If she was born without the limb she hhas already adapted. I dive with a gentalman who has one hand and one leg - and he spear fishes. No adaptations to his gear what so ever.

This is all good news. I having had cancer had them remove a block of tissue from my neck. As a result my right arm is kinda shot. Really with a little thought rigging your stuff one handed operation is very possible. I wish my right arm was the one to work but in my case my left is the good one. I have a different problem with reg recovery etc..

Just use retractable clips to keep everything centered on the chest. Also a good wing will let you dump relatively easily right or left, although I prefer to go head down and use the bottom dump as it keeps my pointed in the right direction :)

Basically in short, get in the pool and play, and keep playing until you are comfortable. After diving with both arms it took me some getting used to, so likely she will have better luck than me.

If money isn't an issue, doesn't Oceanic make a mask with heads up display in it?
I can't recall the model but I've seen it on several occasions.
Just like an integrated computer but with the display being HUD in the mask instead on a wrist mount.

i wonder what sort of something she might need on her left wrist to 'backstop' her watches/computers/gauges so there's no chance they'll slide off. i'm assuming her wrist tapers off almost to a point, without a knobby bulge, but i could certainly be wrong. if it tapers, anything on her wrist would have to be hella tight to not slip off, or she might need something like a neoprene 'cuff' to stop things sliding. any thoughts, anyone?

When I was a becoming a DM in 93' we had a student that was missing his left hand. He really had no issues with his bc (Dacor jacket style). He would just crossover with his right hand to dump air. The only trouble I see is that if the hose is to long then your sister-in-law may have trouble extending it all the way and I think you can modify that.
The console he would balance it on his left arm and use his right hand to manipulate the buttons.

He would get mad if someone tried to help him because of his disability. The only trouble he had was when mounting the tank to the bc because of the buckle. That was the only time he asked for help and he only did that when the instructor explained that even some people with two hands need help with it.

Have you looked at the AquaLung Pearl i3?
It has a handle near the weight pocket on the left to inflate and deflate the BCD.
No inflator hose.

Pearl i3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom