BC/regulator for both tech and open water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaway2121

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm a fairly new diver. Within the next few years my hope is to begin cave training, but in the mean time I want to get plenty more open water practice. Hopefully this is the correct forum.

I've been postponing purchasing my own BC, regulator, and computer/compass/gauge because I'm wondering If I can have gear that works for both OW and tech? I'm a fan of simple.

Thoughts? Thank you.

edit: thank you all! I'll sort through these soon.

Hi, I'm a fairly new diver. Within the next few years my hope is to begin cave training, but in the mean time I want to get plenty more open water practice. Hopefully this is the correct forum.

I've been postponing purchasing my own BC, regulator, and computer/compass/gauge because I'm wondering If I can have gear that works for both OW and tech? I'm a fan of simple.

Thoughts? Thank you.
IMHO just ask an instructor you would like to do the cave class with in the future: in my experience they are quite busy but willing to help new divers.

Thoughts? Thank you.

I’ll recommend what I use - Apeks XTX50 with 5th port and rotating turret. Used by many tech divers. If an instructor decided these were no good, I’d second guess using the instructor.

I’ll recommend what I use - Apeks XTX50 with 5th port and rotating turret. Used by many tech divers. If an instructor decided these were no good, I’d second guess using the instructor.
If that helps with the decision, I have Tek3s and I wish I had Marie’s set :) The 5th port makes the routing a lot nicer than my Tek3s.

You can google pictures or see a few pics in this thread:

Why does the apeks tek 3 set face down? Vs two xtx200

Simple is good but I doubt you will be able to find a BPW to do both. A smaller wing will not have the lift for double steels and a larger wing will have a taco effect on single tanks. I tried to find a "one shop all" wing in 2005 and thankfully I was talked out of it.

Lots of good regs out there but you may want to find one with a 5th port for hose routing. Choose from Dive Rite, Atomics, Deep 6, Apex, ScubaPro, and more. Note that reg set ups will be different for single vs double tanks so you need to decide if you will have a dedicated reg for a single tank or if you will dive doubles all the time. I do not think you want to be changing hoses and set ups each time.

Find a wrist mounted computer that will suit your desires as a tech diver.

For a pressure gauge, choose a quality brass and glass one that will connect to a D-ring on your harness via a bolt clip.

Buy a wrist mounted computer.

But probably the best thing to do is to find an instructor and then discuss equipment with him/her. Worst thing you can do is to try and skimp to save money. Go ahead and plan on shelling out some bucks.

Enjoy the ride!

A basic BP and harness will work with both singles and doubles. You can move it between single and doubles wings. That’s what I do. Buy a single tank wing for now. You can pick up the doubles wing later.

Just get two sets of whichever reg you settle on. That way you’ll have them for tech later on and can pick up a single tank reg later if you do both tech and rec dives.

Almost forgot - you want wrist mounted computer that has a gauge mode that can be used as a backup to tech computer (Shearwater, there is no other choice) later. I’m using my Oceanic Geo 2.0 as a backup to my Perdix.

Plan your purchases wisely and you won’t end up holding the bag. I like how you think. I did the same thing. Much easier on the budget.

Thoughts? Thank you.

most of us use the same or very similar gear for both.

Many of us will have dedicated single tank and double tank rigs, because we are lazy and moving cam bands is quite annoying. Doesn't mean that we haven't done it in the past, but the concept of a one-piece harness on a backplate is pretty universal regardless of what's behind it. Sidemount is another can of worms.

For regulators, you can't go wrong with 5-port swivel turrets which offer the most options for hose routing and are generally considered the "preferred" regulator style for all diving. Brands and specific models we can help you with in future conversations.

Computers, just buy a Shearwater and call it a day.

Since you are in Miami, I would recommend that you get in touch with @LandonL He is a great technical instructor based out of Ft. Lauderdale and will be able to help guide you locally.

If you'll send me your email, I'll send you an 11-page article on the BC and reg combination that would meet your needs. It is not a brand recommendation but a general configuration article.
I am a HOG/Edge Gear dealer but before I'd recommend anything I'd prefer you read the article.
The main difference in brands is going to be cost. They all work and they are all safe. Manufacturers can't afford to sell junk.
The other issue will be service. Many tech divers choose to service their own regs and a couple of brands will allow you to do that.
Others will not.
Also, most divers have brands they prefer. Some just because it's what they started with or were sold. They have little or no experience with others. So the recommendations, while suitable, are not what every diver will want or not the only or even best choice for you based on different variables including your budget. Which can be a biggie.
I dive regs that in that area, allow me to buy two or even three of what another brand would cost for one, with no difference in quality or performance.
As I said before, they all work and if the person setting them up knows what they are doing, not all do, you won't be able to tell the difference between a $300 reg and a $1000 one. Except that if the person setting up the $1000 one is a muppet, you'll think it's junk because it'll breathe like crap.

BP/Wing, wrist mounted computer with Buhlmann GF(e.g., Shearwater or Deep 6) and a reg such as the one from Deep 6, with a 5th port, which will route nicely for doubles in the future. Don't buy a cheap octo either, just get two of whatever second stage you end up choosing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom