Bc v wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @hammet

I have the Outlaw and like it very much, especially for travel (Aqualung Outlaw posts #s 57, 63, 65). It may be missing a few features that @lowlysubaruguy wanted, so I suggested the newer Rogue instead, very similar BCs, both trim and light

The Outlaw has no D-rings, but I find the 4 large loops and webbed daisy chain work just fine for me, I don't take much stuff. There are two optional weight pockets that hold a total of 20 lbs, I use them with less weight, work fine. You can use the weight pockets OR the trim pockets (10 lbs), not both. There are no pockets and no good way to attach a butt pocket. I may add a pocket to the one of the waist straps via the loops and may add cam band trim weight pockets.

The Rogue has a few more features that some may want or need. It adds 4 steel D-rings and a couple of small pockets on the waist straps. Same primary weight pockets as the Outlaw, also optional trim pockets. There is an optional SMB pocket. The Rogue increases the wing size from 25 to 35 lbs, the former is enough for me. The Rogue also adds a shoulder dump, I only use my butt dump so do not need it.

I had no problem bobbing on the surface, but with the smaller bladder than I'm used to, I overinflated a few times and 'farted' at the surface making my buddy throw me an odd look.

The Outlaw lists for $389, weight pockets add $70. The Rogue lists for $579.

Not to hijack the thread...
I just bought the Outlaw and used it for 4 dives after Christmas out of Boynton. Had the Rogue been available, I might have gone with that. I travel from NY so I wanted a lighter BCD than my axiom plus I main dive warm water so I don't need a huge rig. Plus I wanted to give back inflation a go. I dove with an HP100, a full 3mm wetsuit, and 4lbs of removable weight.

It did take some time getting used to the lack of solid d-rings. First time I jumped off the boat, I descended down to the reef and saw a cool lobster bag sitting there. A second later, I realized it was mine and it had fallen off because I didn't clip it well enough onto one of the fabric belt loops. Since then, I've purchased a couple of small metal carabiners that I'll use as needed to hold stuff. I also figured out that when clipping bolt snaps onto a fabric loop, the trick is to go under and come up so that you can see the loop going through the gate of the snap.

The fabric d-rings at the bottom are partly blocked by the weight packs. I found can store and unclip an smb with thumb real by feel, but good luck trying to clip anything on to the d-rings while you are in the water. I also found it a little tricky to reach the rear dump valve because the whole rig sits higher.

Other than that, it really is like diving with nothing on you and you can feel the increase in 'streamlineness' as you move against a current.

I'm gonna be down again in a few weeks but will have to switch to a 5mm and probably about 4-6 more pounds of lead. I think I should still have plenty of buoyancy still (I have the 25 lb. bladder).

Also, I did purchase two optional trim weight packs to strap onto the tank band for when I dive w/ an AL80.

But to get to OPs question, I don't like weight belts and I don't want to carry a heavy back plate through an airport. So for me, the this BCD is good fit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom