BCD choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems like you are down to two since you can't add weight integration to the Scout.

Norm is correct on an out of the box Covert but I believe you can add "skinny" pockrtd to the front belt,

If price is a concern, I've seen closeout pricing on the old Covert lately - maybe on leisurepro.com

I have yet to see a moll attachment from Zeagle so I wouldn't let that influence your decision.

I own a Zeagle scout and I have to say it is very comfortable and a good choice for the beginner. However, I would not buy it for its travel-friendly qualities as I believe there are smaller, lighter (less features) BCDs for travelling. Also, you don't need to use a weight belt with it as there are integrated weight pockets.

I hate to wear weight belte

May I ask why? Do you find they slide down easily? If so, have you ever used an elastic weight belt? Those changed my view of weight belts.

Just my opinion, there is no right or wrong here. Many people like back inflate BCs. I am not one of them. When you have a back inflate BC with integrated weights, you need to be sure you have the trim pockets by the tank. In my experience, not using trim pockets places all the weight in the front and then puts you face down on the surface.

Since I am able to dive with only 6# in the Caribbean, I *never* use the integrated weight system, only the trim weight pockets.

So, my recommendation:

1. Buy a Jacket Style.
2. If you're still hellbest on back inflate, be sure you have (and use) trim pockets.

May I ask why? Do you find they slide down easily? If so, have you ever used an elastic weight belt? Those changed my view of weight belts.

Elastic belts with buckles are treacherous the buckle sometimes doesn’t close well. Freediving ‘marsellaise’ belts are better IMHO

I bought a used hydros from my LDS and love it as my first BC. Putting weights in the integrated pockets I do not find to put me facedown with a steel80.

that and not wanting to carry another
Just my opinion, there is no right or wrong here. Many people like back inflate BCs. I am not one of them. When you have a back inflate BC with integrated weights, you need to be sure you have the trim pockets by the tank. In my experience, not using trim pockets places all the weight in the front and then puts you face down on the surface.

Since I am able to dive with only 6# in the Caribbean, I *never* use the integrated weight system, only the trim weight pockets.

So, my recommendation:

1. Buy a Jacket Style.
2. If you're still hellbest on back inflate, be sure you have (and use) trim pockets.
I see your point but jacket style bcd is actually one of the reason I want to get my own bcd because all rentals are jacket and I don’t like it

All of these bcds come with trim pocket so i guess its becoming essential for back inflated bcd?

that and the discomfort on my hip bone, putting them on and adjusting the weight position are also annoying, plus it makes one extra equipment to pack and carry for travel

that and the discomfort on my hip bone, putting them on and adjusting the weight position are also annoying, plus it makes one extra equipment to pack and carry for travel

The few times I wore a rental weight belt, I got bruising around my hip bone as well. :( There are some pretty fancy ones out there and with use of some soft weights in the ones with pockets built into them, that is another option outside of integrated weights.

I would recommend that you plan for your future as a diver. Both Zeagle and Mares make quality products. As for back vs jacket inflation both have pros and cons that have been endlessly debated on many forums. I can say that you should consider weight integration because the comfort factor is very important and ditchability is usually easier. With the Zeagle weight system it can be a bit difficult to reinstall the pockets if the ditch handle is pulled so keep that in mind. I would also agree with some of the other posters that the Aqualung Rouge is a good option for someone who wants to travel. It has the great feature of modularity that allows you to put on different options such as weight pouches and you can put on different size bladders depending on where you are diving and what exposure protection you are using. Additionally, the weight release system is easy to ditch and reinstall. This can really come in handy at the end of a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom