BCD for my teenage daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rlap

New
Reaction score
Hello,

My daughter's birthday is coming up and I want to buy her a BCD for her birthday. She will turn 14 and is closing in on 50 dives and loves it. She is a 5'7" and thinly built. I would like a womens perspective on what the best BCD I can get her and what size would you recommend.

Thanks

I got my daughter a Travel pac for her warm water only diving. Similar to the Transpac but with a permanently attached wing. She only likes to dive warm water. It's perfect for her.

Second the zeagle express ... wife and daughter dive with it - as well as myself

Most of the recommendations are Back Inflate, I love my Transpac and Transplate setups, everything is adjustable and would give her some room to use for many years to come. They can be set up EXACTLY how she prefers with D-rings, weight pockets, wings, etc., wherever and however she wants.

If she prefers a jacket type BCD, my wife LOVES her Aqualung Pearl. It's cut for women, shorter, and has more room in the upper area to accommodate a woman's figure. She was amazed at how much more comfortable it was than a "standard" bcd.

Good luck,
Jay

Hi, @Rlap.

Happy early birthday to your daughter! I think you'll find that there is no "best" BC - everyone has different bodies and therefore, different fits and experiences with a BC. Some might tell you it's a jacket, some a back inflate, some a backplate and wing.

I do really like the back inflates and am very happy with my Scubapro Ladyhawk - great for cold and warm water diving (easy enough to transport) though there are more travel friendly options. I would consider a backplate and wing for my next BC if I were to buy again though. This was my first BC and I don't regret it. I knew I didn't want a jacket - wasn't a fan from all the rentals.

Have fun shopping!

Reactions: Xta
I second the Scubapro Ladyhawk. My waist is much smaller than my hips, and this BCD is a little shorter, so I'm able to get it securely around me, without digging into my hips. This was also my first BCD after trying on almost all of them in the dive shop.

I recently switched from the lady hawk to the hydros love it. It cranks down smaller than the lady hawk. The hydros molds to your back so no more rubbing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom