BCD Inflating On Its Own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it is the Schrader valve in the inflator.

If it's the inflator I think it is then it's really simple to disassemble to change the orings or at least clean and inspect them. If the OP has simple hand tools and access to a hardware store with orings then he can take it apart without needing the kit. All he would need is a screwdriver a pair of needle nose pliers and small socket, I think it's 5/16"

Change the inflator mechanism for a new one, they're not expensive.

45-degree Oral Power Inflator | Dive Gear Express®

I had the same issue with a DiveRite wing after about 20 dives. I stripped it down and it looked clean with no obvious defects.

After lubing and reassembly it continued to slowly inflate the wing. I replaced the power inflator and several hundred dives later no issues.

IMG_20190720_142203.jpg Miscellaneous save a dive kit parts that they should teach in AOW.

View attachment 530239 Miscellaneous save a dive kit parts that they should teach in AOW.
None of these will help the OP. The hose is not his problem.

I carry a spare generic inflator on group dive trips and almost always someone needs it. The key evidence is whether there are bubbles coming from the end of the LP hose only when it is attached to the LPI. If so, then the Schraeder valve is not the problem but rather the internal o-ring inside the QD fitting on the hose. If the bubbles are coming out without the hose being attached, then it is the Schrader valve. If there are no bubbles, and the BCD is slowly inflating, then it is the push-button (which operates a Schrader valve inside the inflator), in which case you either need to replace the inflator or disassemble it and clean it.

None of these will help the OP. The hose is not his problem.

I carry a spare generic inflator on group dive trips and almost always someone needs it. The key evidence is whether there are bubbles coming from the end of the LP hose only when it is attached to the LPI. If so, then the Schraeder valve is not the problem but rather the internal o-ring inside the QD fitting on the hose. If the bubbles are coming out without the hose being attached, then it is the Schrader valve. If there are no bubbles, and the BCD is slowly inflating, then it is the push-button (which operates a Schrader valve inside the inflator), in which case you either need to replace the inflator or disassemble it and clean it.

The weirder thing is it seems to only auto-inflate after I'm in the water or intermittently. I can test the inflation on the surface and it'll behave perfectly normally, but the moment I get off the boat and into the water (or within 5-10 minutes of the dive), I can hear bubbling and gas traveling through the hoses and my BC starts to inflate. I have some success just snapping my thumb very quickly across the inflate button, so perhaps it's just the button getting randomly stuck? I've been benched from diving for a month because of a rib injury, so plus side I'll have time to fiddle with it now that the spare parts for the inflator have arrived. Thank you for the suggestions

tursiops,

There are schrader valves in that pic. If the bc is inflating on its own it's probably because the schrader valve is corroded and sticking open. It can either be replaced or soaked in vinegar a bit (maybe). How did LP hoses even enter this discussion? I've never seen an LP hose with a schrader valve in it. But I'm sure I haven't seen everything.

Since it's too hot to do anything here and I'm bored I figured I'd take apart an old Seaquest inflater I have - funny thing is - it doesn't use a schrader valve.

A795B01E-C592-4BDD-9321-C390D4E5C262.jpeg
tursiops,

There are schraeder valves in that pic. If the bc is inflating on its own it's probably because the schraeder valve is corroded and sticking open. It can either be replaced or soaked in vinegar a bit (maybe). How did LP hoses even enter this discussion? I've never seen an LP hose with a schraeder valve in it. But I'm sure I haven't seen everything.
LP hose has the valve, it’s open as soo as you click it onto the inflator, the only way for the b/c to self inflate is a leak by in the inflator

tursiops,

There are schraeder valves in that pic. If the bc is inflating on its own it's probably because the schraeder valve is corroded and sticking open. It can either be replaced or soaked in vinegar a bit (maybe). How did LP hoses even enter this discussion? I've never seen an LP hose with a schraeder valve in it. But I'm sure I haven't seen everything.
Depends on how you are using terminology. Every LP inflator hose has a Schrader valve in it. That is what closes the supply of air when the hose is disconnected from the BCD inflator mechanism. Post #4 introduced the erroneous suggestion that a malfunctioning inflator mechanism can be addressed at the hose. And then there is the confusion every time someone says "the Schrader" without specific clarification. While there is always a Schrader in the hose, not all inflator mechanisms utilize a Schrader valve. So "clean or replace the Schrader" is NOT advice that is applicable to everyone.

Jack and tursiops,

Sorry, I see now,

I never even thought about a schrader valve being in the inflator hose quick connect and I assumed the DGX inflator used a schrader valve.

boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom