BCD- Jacket/vest style vs back inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shark:There's a big difference in the performance of bread trucks perhaps not noticeable to some that haven't delivered bread for long or are happy to tune and maintain the one they have and drive it within it's limitations.
All trucks have limitations.
Perhaps a flat bed would be more streamlined, but then you could only deliver on fine days and we would all have to travel on the back holding down the bread.
Flotsam.
The best idea is to get one with detachable fuel tanks with the option of size and composition.

I have only face planted once. That was when a shark jetted by and chomped my legs off. It doesn't bother me any more, I had heavier ones made.
I guess I'm gonna have to drive the truck.

Last edited:
Many years ago I saw a feature in the British Sub Aqua Club Magazine addressing the issue of Jacket style Bcds v BP/W style jackets. They towed a manikin dressed in both through a ship test tank and measured the drag at typical diver speeds which were very slow 0.5 knots to 1.5 knots. There conclusions were body position in the water and trim were more important than the style of BCD. I have been hunting for a link to the story but have been unable to find it, perhaps it was just my imagination or too many beers over the years :dork2:
BSAC's credibility on these kinds of questions may be suffering a bit lately.

Personally, I prefer back-inflate, but the only way to really know what's right for you is to try out different styles. If you aren't ready to pull the trigger just yet try renting, otherwise find a shop that will let you pool test the gear. Soliciting others' opinions is great, up until a point, but you'll be a much happier camper (err... diver) if you get the experience first hand.

Just a quick comment that, for those of us who primarily do drift diving, streamlining doesn't particularly save much backgas consumption; we're just going along for the ride anyway.

It's also worth noting that, while the picture of the BP/W looks extremely minimal and streamlined, in actuality when you start adding reels & gear hanging off it, and glue pouches on your legs and fill them with stuff like many BP/W users do because they don't have pockets - stuff that would be more streamlined tucked inside a vest BTW - in the end you're not really that much more streamlined unless you follow that minimalist philosophy in all your gear.

Also, if youre an underwater photographer and are carrying a giant bulky kit with you anyway, streamlining is a bit moot.

The first thing I ever dived was a DiveRite BP/W, but for the diving I do nowadays I prefer a traditional vest. YMMV, but the point is a BP/W isn't for everybody, nor is it some holy grail for all divers.

OP: it really doesn't matter, what really matters is what YOU find most comfortable spending you hard earned dollars on. Take everybody's advice with a grain of salt and try them all for yourself. RJP gave some great advice (copied below). If you're in driving distance of that shop, that sounds like a great place to go and start trying things on. If they're that willing to let you try stuff on in their pool, I'll bet the sales staff would be willing to help make sure you get the trim right to try each different BCD in their pool. And if they will let you rent a piece of gear so that you can try it out in the open water, and then apply the rental fee towards purchase price it's a no brianer - GO THAT ROUTE!

<snipped the photos out>
Where in NJ are you located? The Scuba Connection in Hillsborough has a pool in the shop, and will happily let you try out all of the different types of rigs you want.

Diving with each of the different styles is really the only way to tell which one is right for you.

Ray

:classic:

Mind you, as with so much else that's been spewed in here, this is just my own humble opinion. Good luck in your quest and happy diving.

My my, this is the least threatening discussion on vest/back inflation/BPW I have read yet! Good job all.
<snip> the sensible stuff </snip>
Get Wet
Looks like you spoke too soon.

In the end what do we have, Leejnd's boobs and jonnythan's motate. I still don't know what "motate" is, but pending a definition, I'm siding with the boobs argument (no matter what, you just can't argue with boobs). :crazyeye:

Looks like you spoke too soon.

In the end what do we have, Leejnd's boobs and jonnythan's motate. I still don't know what "motate" is, but pending a definition, I'm siding with the boobs argument (no matter what, you just can't argue with boobs). :crazyeye:

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Trust me, you do NOT want to argue with my boobs. :catfight:

In the end what do we have, Leejnd's boobs and jonnythan's motate. I still don't know what "motate" is, but pending a definition, I'm siding with the boobs argument (no matter what, you just can't argue with boobs).

Here you go:

mo·tate&#8194; &#8194;/[moht-tät] Show IPA
&#8211;verb
Biology . to move spontaneously.

Origin:
2009-2010; < L m&#333;t ( us ) (ptp. of mov&#275;re to move, set in motion) + -ate; back-formation from motile, originally coined by jonnythan

my vote goes to the unrestricted boobs... lets get ride of those restrictive wetsuits too! :eyebrow::eyebrow:

I have three comments:
1.Decreasing the drag co-efficient is always going to have an effect on the amount of energy expended i.e. oxygen depletion.
2.An aluminum 80 will always push you face forward with a BI if said BC is filled to capacity-a steel 100 will not.(I have never tried a BP/W...yes I am ashamed)
3.We all would like to hear more about LeeAnn's boobs!
Get Wet!

Back
Top Bottom