BCD question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weight pockets on the harness, a standard weight belt with hard lead, weight bolted to the plate, and trim weight pockets on the cam band are all options. Dumpable pockets or a weight belt are probably the easiest answers, but may not be optimized for trim (your orientation in the water).
In regards to basic BPW components, a lot of people have recommended the Dive Gear Express singls package in similar threads
DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®
That's everything you need other than a means to carry lead. Whether or not you go with that package, it shows the basic needs for a BPW setup. You might also look at Vintage Double Hose, he has some pretty good deals too.
Store | Vintage Double Hose

On my last dive, I wore 7mm farmer john, with 32lbs of lead and still felt I need more because once in a while I automatically blow up slowly even with empty bladder.

On tank, I most likely will use 1 single rental tank, which I think is aluminum 80 or 100 cf.
So, I should need between 30 to "less than 40"?

Thanks Ayisha

A wing with around 30 lbs lift will serve you well. 25 lbs lift might be a little small for your size in the future with any exposure protection, cold salt water, etc. A 30 lb wing is an average single tank wing. No need to get a tiny potentially inadequate travel wing and then upgrade later. The amount of ballast you're using shows that an 18 lb wing will not be enough. It doesn't matter how deep you want to go now. A wing is going to last you a long time. You might as well make it pretty versatile.

You won't go wrong with a wing with 30 lbs lift. :wink:

Basically you need lift to compensate for the compression of your wetsuit and the weight of the gas in your tank. So, in single tank diving, maybe the gas weighs 6 lbs at the most, and you can calculate your wetsuit buoyancy by putting it in a mesh bag, tossing it in a pool or tub, and adding weight to the bag until it sinks. A 3 mil suit might need 10-12 lbs to sink. That means with a full tank at maximum depth, you're likely to only need 18 lbs of lift in a 3 mil suit. But, you also want to have a little extra lift if necessary for floating your rig (assuming the weight is in pockets on the BC, not on a belt) and in case you're a little overweighted on some dives as many new divers are. A well designed 30 lb lift single tank wing is pretty streamlined and versatile. It's almost inconceivable to me that anyone diving in warm water with a single tank would need more lift.

Many backplate/wing divers, myself included, have a couple of wings for different scenarios. I use the same backplate with a 17lb tiny oxycheq wing and a 40 lb dive rite wing for doubles.

Hi everyone,
I have another question, hope someone know the answer and have the time to input.
I run into this ad and is curious why this OMS wing has the "rubber band" around the wing? Is it needed? What is it for?

Also, is OMS ok? While searching second hand, I can see that OMS has the lowest price I can see include wing and back plate. There must be a reason? This wing is asked only $45. Back plate and hardness is $75.
Thanks.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/img_1720-jpeg.541284/

Hi,
I borrow an image from a sell ad to have a question on the back plate, hope the seller is ok with this purpose.
I see some back plates and hardness are plan a plate of metal and webbing, some back plates and hardness are as fancy as this pic below. Is it simply for comfort or is there any design need? Anything I missed?
Thanks in advance.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ba8f1a198db3f4da507612593f781db8&oe=5E33A936

I see some back plates and hardness are plan a plate of metal and webbing, some back plates and hardness are as fancy as this pic below. Is it simply for comfort or is there any design need? Anything I missed?

It is sometimes handy to be able to adjust the shoulder straps "on the fly". E.g. on a cramped boat, when shoulder mobility is limited. That's the "quick release" bits on that harness -- but you can do that with a plain one-piece webbing and a slider too.

Shoulder pads may do something when walking to and from the water, though I have not seen ones made like proper hiking backpack straps, so I doubt they do much. They do nothing underwater.

Ditto for for back padding, only it does even less.

As for D-rings and pockets, you can put as many as you like on the plain webbing too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom