BCD size question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob Teichman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am buying my first BCD, and for various reasons I need to buy it online. Looking at Leisurepro web site (and others), I fall in between a medium and a large. Based on the sizing charts I fall at the very upper end of the medium version for chest and waist, and just under the low end of chest on a large (right at the low end for waist). Until now I have always rented and always rented a large and while I always had wiggle room it might be because I didn't tighten the straps properly. If it matters, my wetsuit is a large.

Should I buy the medium or the large? Both have enough lift for my weight (though I'm at the upper end of the medium weight range chart).

Will you be using a wide range of wetsuit thicknesses? If so, you may want to size up to the Large. If you're in between and are confident you're only going to wear that 3/2 or less to someplace warm, then you'll prolly be fine with the medium. I'm 5'7" with a wide chest and generally fit into a variety of BCDs in the small sizes like a glove. Being in a BCD that's too big is just cumbersome and janky underwater.

Get it from LP and return for a swap if you don’t like the fit. It does not matter a whit what we tell you. Trying it on trumps all.

I've found that BCDs tend to run large. It is one of the paradoxes that defy explanation - wetsuits run small, BCDs run big.

Thanks. I'm a fair weather diver so nothing more than a 3mm suit. As for LP and returning it, I guess I can do that but I was planning on having them deliver it to my daughter then pick it up en route to my dive trip. Where I live I can't get stuff..

I was planning on having them deliver it to my daughter then pick it up en route to my dive trip.

That's risky, unless you're willing to rent if there's an issue with the BCD.

Don't know which brand BCD you're looking at, but I dive a Seaqest Balance and I've got 3 of those BCDs in 3 sizes. Started with the XL, lost 40 lbs by exercising regularly for over a year, was very optimistic and got a M-L, which is a "bit tight" but diveable, and use the L primarily now.

I can use any one of those 3 if necessary even though one is a bit tight and one is a "smidge" loose. I feel like Goldilocks..

I'm 6'1", 198 lbs, 36" waist.

You could order a backplate and wing and make it custom fit you in your living room.

For diving in Quintana Roo, 18 pounds of lift should be plenty.

Here are a few links I like:

WTX-D18 Single Cylinder Wing

WTX Back Plate

Deluxe One-Piece Web Harness

A pair of tank straps too (couldn't find a link from the apeks site... sorry).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom