BCD wouldn't let air out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad the mods deleted that harsh post; OP didn't deserve that. I'm also glad OP decided to get back into diving, is working on getting correctly weighted, and has come here to figure stuff out. OP, I hope you encounter lots of helpful folks and a minimal number of jerks.

As to the actual question regarding DCS, there are people here far more qualified than me to answer and I hope they jump in. But from my limited knowledge, it sounds completely plausible that you did suffer a mild hit, and also completely plausible that you didn't. The soreness could be from exertion; even though it hasn't reoccured after a break, I'm willing to bet you retained some muscle memory that made you just a little more efficient, and therefore made all your movements just a little less strenuous. The exhaustion could've been the adrenaline wearing off after a stressful situation. It's going to be hard to say for certain after so much time has passed.
I wasn't sure if he deleted it or the mods did. I sort of felt like I was on trial with that one... Oh well.

Big cat rescue!?!?! Pix, pretty please?

I'm on my work computer and don't get cell reception but I'll post more. These are all I have on my laptop.

Central Florida Animal Reserve (CFLAR.org) - I will not miss an opportunity for a shameless plug.

I have been doing it for 10 years (as of last weekend). This is Cunsi, a female lioness. She is as goofy as the photo suggests.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1576611700014.jpg
    FB_IMG_1576611700014.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 91
  • FB_IMG_1576611702263.jpg
    FB_IMG_1576611702263.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 97
  • FB_IMG_1576604755636.jpg
    FB_IMG_1576604755636.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 83
Scheduling.

Scheduling, shmeduling! (kidding!)

I work full time, am a Reservist

Respect

and every Saturday I volunteer at a rescue of big cats (Tigers, lions, cougars, leopards).

More respect.

Which leaves me with 3 days a month that I am not occupied.

Not a lot of time, but that doesn't mean I won't bust your chops! (all in jest)

Up until about 6 months ago none of my friends were certified. Now 2 of them are. One is not in the same financial boat as I am and doesn't own their own gear. So when we go and dive a shore dive it costs him 7-8X what it costs me. He also has a needy girlfriend... I usually end up taking time off of work to accommodate him.

I've got 3 scheduled this year already. And my other friend is pretty wide open. He runs his own consulting firm so any day, any time, any place generally works for him.

In November we did Blue Heron Bridge and last weekend we did Devils Den and Crystal Springs. They were all awesome.

Glad you are getting out there with your limited time, I do appreciate your full schedule that sometimes you just want to recover. That all said, if you decide to further your training, you are lucky with some top notch instructors in that area. There's Ryan @custureri who has been a long distance mentor for me in improving my teaching (I'd be waaaaay behind where I am today otherwise) and also @LandonL whom I consult a fair bit from time to time for hyperbaric issues.

There's one up the 14 from you.
There are a couple. Big cat Rescue in Tampa, Caddy Shack in Jacksonville. There are a few in Miami, however many are breeders and "less than good" people that call themselves a rescue but breed and trade / sell cats for profit. If you ever visit any type of wild animal rescue, refuge, sanctuary or zoo do your research first. Big cats, bears and reptiles get exploited the most around here.

Is that true? I haven't used a BC with a shoulder dump in a while, but it always seemed pretty fast to me. Especially since you can usually just tug the hose faster than you can get the hose out of the loop that's keeping it close to the strap (if there is one), lift it up, and get your hand positioned so you're pressing the deflate button (not automatic for newbies; I still sometimes had to feel around to figure out which button was which when I was new and renting gear.)
I thought he would be the easiest for him because he won’t have to find the dump.

On my BCD I would swim slightly downwards exhaling and dump from the bottom valve but that’s because I know where the valve is on my own equipment.

I am a newbie as well so take what I say with a pinch of salt :)

There are a couple. Big cat Rescue in Tampa, Caddy Shack in Jacksonville. There are a few in Miami, however many are breeders and "less than good" people that call themselves a rescue but breed and trade / sell cats for profit. If you ever visit any type of wild animal rescue, refuge, sanctuary or zoo do your research first. Big cats, bears and reptiles get exploited the most around here.
Oh, I meant up the hill from @Esprise Me in the greater los angeles area.

Scheduling, shmeduling! (kidding!)

Respect

More respect.

Not a lot of time, but that doesn't mean I won't bust your chops! (all in jest)

Glad you are getting out there with your limited time, I do appreciate your full schedule that sometimes you just want to recover. That all said, if you decide to further your training, you are lucky with some top notch instructors in that area. There's Ryan @custureri who has been a long distance mentor for me in improving my teaching (I'd be waaaaay behind where I am today otherwise) and also @LandonL whom I consult a fair bit from time to time for hyperbaric issues.

Thanks. We are planning a dive for next weekend as well. We meet up and run every Thursday night so planning on hammering that one flat tonight.

Almost all of my dives have been near West Palm Beach so I have consistently used the same dive shop I found there. They are fantastic, always super nice, have decent prices, are in a good area and just super interested in helping people out. It's nice to have a go to dive shop but also nice to have options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom