BCD wouldn't let air out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...are you referring to taking three breaths off the REGULATOR while monitoring the SPG prior to entry? This is a critical last check to insure the tank valve is open, functional and pressure is stable.

I do the check myself and recommend it to others, however it does not insure the valve is completely open. Depending on the valve, 1/4 turn open may pass the check, a bit more it will pass for sure. So if the SPG starts bouncing as you descend, have your buddy open it.

Oh yeah, I learned 3 quick deep breaths. The idea is to test the flow, if the air flow is restricted by the valve, the pressure will drop.

The one time my valve wasn't all the way open, the second quick breath caught it--I saw the needle move. Not saying it'll always work, but I'll always do it.

I have not read more then the first two pages but my first take is it is all due to a failure I see often.

Divers tend to neglect the buoyancy check when doing their pre-dive or buddy checks. Even if they check to see it inflates when they push the button, I often see them forget to check that all dumps are working correctly and that they can orally inflate.

These checks are something I speak about extensively when I am teaching an OWC and also when I see new divers on the boat who are about to bankroll in and have not fully checked their buoyancy compensator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom