BCDs for Big Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of people will say Sherwood Avids are junk but I have one and I like it. They come in sizes up to 5x and a cumberbun size up to 64 in. I dive dry in Eastern Canada and regularly use 50 lbs of lead with a HP133 Faber tank. No belt I tuck it all on the BCD( I did cast my own weights)

Zeagle are large and very adjustable. I'm sure that one can be made to fit correctly.

Scubapro hydros is very adjustable and at 6'7 250ish it has more than enough room to expand to a shorter and stouter person.

I dive a 2XL Zeagle Ranger. I'm 6'3" and have been as much as 325lbs. I'm now aorund 260 and it still works fine since there are 2(3?)side adjustments in the jacket spaced about an inch apart. You may not like the price....

You are also an Express Tech candidate since it's a modular soft back plate and can be sized to fit. Pockets and either of their integrated weight systems are options.

You are also a good candidate for any number of Backplate/Wing (BP/W) setups favored by many here.
The plate is hard, usually steel or aluminum and decreases your extra carried weight needs. Most use a harness consisting of 2" webbing so you can make it any size you need. The tank is clamped directly to the plate so there's no shifting like you will get with any soft BC - including the two you mentioned and the Zeagle line.

Price a Hydros b4 you consider it.:shakehead:

Wings & Backplate don’t care how big you are.
Get real gear ^^. Don’t waste your effort on “recreational” crap.
I know this is common advice on ScubaBoard, but I think it certainly varies by person. If the OP is going to be primarily a recreational diver, why pay 2-5 times as much to kit out a BP&W set-up? Is it just to look like you are a "serious" diver? I know it's heresy to say it here, but it seems jacket-style BCDs work just fine for a whole lot of people.

I know this is common advice on ScubaBoard, but I think it certainly varies by person. If the OP is going to be primarily a recreational diver, why pay 2-5 times as much to kit out a BP&W set-up? Is it just to look like you are a "serious" diver? I know it's heresy to say it here, but it seems jacket-style BCDs work just fine for a whole lot of people.
Not sure where you’re getting those numbers from. It’s maybe a little more expensive than the cheapest BCDs, but much less than the upper end BCDs.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

I hope you're kidding. Here is a very nice setup with everything you need to dive for $349.

Versus the $200 Sea Elite Scout that has integrated weight pockets, the DGX BP&W package at $349 does not include weight pockets -- which if you look at the pull-down options the add-on weight system that a big guy like the OP will need will add over $100 more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom