• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Be careful in Coron: operator(s) taking non-wreck certified divers inside the shipwrecks

Discussion in 'Philippine Paradise Divers' started by Davi Magalhães, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Kharon

Kharon Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    They do that all the time on Grand Cayman. Penetration of the Kittywake - no cert required.

2. caydiver

caydiver Manta Ray

Have to say we had to be wreck certified when we went down the funnel into the bottom. We were in totally darkness In the passageways on the lower decks. Once we were on the decks closer to the surface we could see all around and there were many places to exit from. Only two of us with one DM/instructor did that. The rest of the group were only on the shallower decks. That’s pretty much what we see happen across the board. I don’t think any of the spaces that are part of a typical Kittiwake dive are as confining as even the wheelhouse at the Doc Poulson. Maybe that makes a difference. That said I remember when I first started diving in Cayman I was a bit shocked when we went to 100 feet. That was well beyond my limit. It was thoughtfully explained that if your guide was an instructor deeper dives were allowed which is why the deep dive is guided and the second shallow dive can be a buddy team. Many things were “modified” to make the Kittiwake very diver friendly as opposed to a vessel that just sank. Perhaps it is in slightly a different category?

3. bakodiver391

bakodiver391 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Peter I know where you were and there should have been an experienced dive guide with you and a maximum of 2 divers with the guide. I guess that's what happens when you go with an inexperienced operator. I'm glad you and your buddies came out all right but I don't have to tell you that there is zero room for error in those conditions. An incident like that could scar someone forever.

4. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Lorenzoid likes this.
  5. lermontov

lermontov Manta Ray

as Peter69_56 said its actually pretty common and even if your comfortable the unknown 3rd party strarts stressing and kicks silt up and you have a serious issue on you hands - I had a similar situation in Truuk where we we're well past the light zone with no line and starting to feel uncomfortable.

6. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

D...

Upon approaching the wreck...a tap on the DM's shoulder signalling ''NO'' should have been your response...entry into the wreck was as much your fault as is was the fault of the DM...

Any diver can call any dive at any time for any reason...YOUR RESPONSIBILITY...

Being thankful ''nothing'' happened after the event...is the wrong sequence as to how the dive should have went...I'm sure there would have been lots to see without penetrating the wreck...again...YOUR RESPONSIBILITY...

W.W...

7. Tippytoes12

Tippytoes12 Manta Ray

We have been on Red Sea liveaboards where divers were taken into wrecks like the Thistlegorm and few if any were wreck certified. This is normal in many areas in the world and in ten years of diving I can honestly never remember a diver saying that he or she is wreck certified.

As the other posters have said, your OW certification means that you absolutely responsible for your own safety. There are many situations where you have to make a choice on whether or not to dive, a strong current, having to do negative entry, needing to use a reef hook, going on a dingy to a drop site in choppy conditions, diving with an instabuddy you have qualms about, terrible weather etc etc etc. The list is endless. When my husband and I learned to dive 10 years ago we promised each other that we would only every dive and keep diving of it was fun, anything scary we stayed on the boat. We have always abided by this little rule and it has served us very well, 1,200 doves between us later !

8. runsongas

runsongas Great White

@Peter69_56 I am surprised that bikini would be a problem. The only option is a fairly expensive liveaboard and usually that weeds people out who aren't suited for the diving there. it isn't like chuuk where you might get a significant amount of recreational divers.

9. Ministryofgiraffes

Ministryofgiraffes Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I can pretty much guarantee that 90% of the thousands of divers who penetrate Red Sea wrecks are not wreck certified...

10. Glenn Williams

Glenn Williams Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Well I’ve dove the USS Kittywake twice and in the virgin island I was inside a couple of wrecks. I had a 32LED light on all my dives. No card but felt ok on all of them. On one in the Virgin Island we dove inside and entered an air pocket where we removed our masks and talked with one another, then departed. Pretty cool. I guess I need to get wreck certified now haha.