• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Be Cautious Diving and Traveling Abroad

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by El Hefe 612, Aug 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM.

1. El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612 Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily Staff Member

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    While many countries around the world have decriminalized homosexuality and a few have even recognized same-sex marriage, there are still 72 countries around the world for which homosexuality is illegal and, in some cases, punishable by death. Here are two articles worth reading to better understand the current state of affairs as of 2017:

REPORT: HOMOSEXUALITY IS ILLEGAL IN 72 COUNTRIES ACROSS THE WORLD

Gay relationships are still criminalised in 72 countries, report finds

When considering the creation of this forum, a thought was shared:
    As @doctormike so eloquently stated:
    Diving safely involves following time-honored practices that we learn through diving instruction, practice and experience, and working within a community to promote the safest diving possible. For some of us, that safety also involves ensuring the safety of the locations we choose for dive travel. A good source of information for what is happening in the world and to look up what the penalties are for being LGBTQIA is:

The International, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA).

They have a chart that's a great visual of each country's status:

Sexual Orientation Laws in the World - Criminalization (ILGA)

We would love to hear of your experiences as well as suggestions you might have for safe LGBTQIA dive travel.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 8:01 PM
  2. giffenk

giffenk Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Interesting. Does it make sense to create a list and/or highlight dive destinations (countries) that currently discriminate? Either a "do not go" or even just a "beware and be careful" list? It may also make sense to distinguish between federal laws and cultural norms. Even if it is legal, the locals may not be happy? Or alternately they routinely turn a blind eye?

I can provide some first hand input to the lists:

Last year we were at a dive resort and one of the couples was same sex. Each night the resort arranged a romantic dinner in a private dinning room for a single couple. Every couple enjoyed their special evening. No issues.

Being from Toronto, we thought this was just normal. Nothing special. But maybe it was...We never considered that it may be illegal...I just checked...

LGBT rights in Honduras - Wikipedia

shoredivr likes this.
  3. El Hefe 612

Which is why I said we would love to hear your personal, first-hand experiences in different locations. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's friendly. Thanks for sharing your experience at the dive resort. Do you mind sharing where that was? That would be really helpful.

giffenk likes this.
  4. giffenk

giffenk Great White

Utila. Utopia Village. Awesome experience - both under and above water. Premium destination with a premium experience. I was re-reminded of our trip just a few days ago when I grabbed the jar of UV hot sauce that I brought back. Yum. Hot. Very HOT. Home made on site. Food was awesome. Service was awesome. Diving was super. If you Google SB I think you will find my trip report. We are currently trying to figure out a return trip.

5. giffenk

giffenk Great White

Here is a link to my review...
    Utopia Village...Luxury Valet Diving

6. El Hefe 612

7. giffenk

giffenk Great White

We also enjoy diving in Bonaire. We use Divi (great dive op - thanks Serge - okay rooms) because it is a short walk to town for awesome food.

We have not noticed any discrimination Gay Life in Netherlands Antilles (Bonaire)

shoredivr likes this.
  8. Wingy

Wingy Solo Diver

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Thailand has a lot of Rainbow friendly accomodation - in a funny little quirk of fate I booked into some quite secluded gorgeous little bungalows on an "opening next week" special. They were divine and I was the only guest for the first two days. Third day, a male couple arrived and were equally impressed. Fourth day that couples friends staying elsewhere on the island had been hassled so they decamped over and booked the third Vila. There are only 7 vilas. Word travels fast because since that first time I've only once been able to get a Vila there because they're all booked up months in advance. I was really happy to see they had built a family Vila for Rainbow families but a little bemused when Kim the owner told me one guest had complained that I was "out of place".

shoredivr likes this.
  9. giffenk

giffenk Great White

After a very short while my very small brain thinks this is getting tedious (and even though i am very simple i tend to get bored by the suspense..).

I suggest (using my very small brain) that it would may more sense to create a set of location specific threads? Create a thread per valid dive destination (no need for a Uganda thread? me thinks...). Discuss the issue of that destination in that thread?

Or maybe I am being a little too aggresive and my suggestion is too premature? Do "we" know enough yet. I live in a very liberal city and travel a lot and witness different life styles, so my mind may be glossing over issues!

Maybe my suggestion needs to wait a bit until clearer information has been collected on some places?

But damn, look at T&C LOB and Belize LOB. Best diving in the Caribbean.

10. kafkaland

kafkaland Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I have been to Utopia Village on Utila twice with a larger group of gay divers. We had the resort exclusively for ourselves, and the owners and staff have been outstanding. I highly recommend the place for LGBT divers.

shoredivr and El Hefe 612 like this.