• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Be Cautious Diving and Traveling Abroad

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by El Hefe 612, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Beyond_Diving

Beyond_Diving Dive Shop

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Very much LGBT friendly! Sure, there's a-holes like in any other place, but generally very much welcoming!

northernone likes this.
  2. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I think this comes into the context of reserching the place you wish to travel too.

Obviously where I live in the Middle East, anything other than beign hetrosexual can lead to a jail term and deportation. In other countries, displaying overt PDA can get you into trouble, as can unmarital sex etc etc.

In reality a blind eye is turned unless it becomes obvious - or you make someother infraction which draws the attention of the authorities

But it goes beyond that:

In the UAE for instance, certain drugs that you can buy over the counter in other countries are banned (Codine is one) So bringing those drugs in can get you in a ton of trouble withouth a Doctors note

Also (in the UAE) as well as other countries they have very sensitive drug detectors, which can and do pick up residual traces. Just having a positive blood test is considered possession.

My point being is that you can fall foul of the law in some countries for actions that are perfectly legal in your own

It's not about your sexuality, the wise traveller should conduct due dilligence on the countries they wish to visit so they at least know the laws, and customs and conduct deemed aceptable and make your chices around that

northernone likes this.
  3. kafkaland

kafkaland Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I haven't found any good gay nightlife in Playa. Any recommendations?

4. CanadaDan

CanadaDan Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Thanks for starting this thread! This is a huge issue in many Caribbean countries as many of them are among the 72. This poses a real problem for North American Divers wanting an easy dive vacation south. I have met a few LGBTQ couples in my trips to Jamaica but only on resort and not many. This is an issue for me as I would like a permanent residence in the Caribbean but not willing to commit to a country where my friends and family can't all visit and feel safe or even comfortable living and loving as they are.

Here's a list of friendly and non-friendly Caribbean countries... good news is many of the non-friendly countries have growing Pride movements and are slowly progressing to public acceptance.

LGBT-Friendly Vacation Spots in the Caribbean

kafkaland likes this.