• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Be Cautious Diving and Traveling Abroad

Discussion in 'LGBTQIA and Friends perspectives' started by El Hefe 612, Aug 12, 2017.

1. WeRtheOcean

WeRtheOcean Nassau Grouper

There were African cultures who had a place for homosexuals -- until Christian missionaries came along. Never forget that Uganda's recent laws for capital punishment of homosexual acts were instigated by American evangelicals.

dumpsterpurrs and Subcooled like this.
  2. DiveTheGalapagos

DiveTheGalapagos ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Galapagos is a very friendly place and also impossible to get residency in unless you were born there or your parents were...or if you marry someone with residency. That's how my friend got his German boyfriend residency...they married. I manage a liveaboard in Galapagos. PM me if you want to know more.

3. waterbridge

waterbridge Garibaldi

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I live in europe and egypt ist one of the most famous dive destinations here - warm water, very good visibility, cheap, mostly intact coral reefs compared to other places. I just want to report my experiences with the LGBT+egypt+red sea :)

I was several times in egypt together with other gay-divers and we had never a problem. However, we have always taken care to ensure that it always appears to the outside that we are simply "normal heterosexual men" who simply want to dive. During a diving holiday a European employee of an Egyptian diving base asked us on the last day if we were "together". We weren't a couple, but we still said that we are LGBT ;-)

4. txaggie08

txaggie08 Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Dahab, some of the Egyptian sites, the red sea, are all on my list of dreams.

As a trans woman, I fear for my life going there.

5. stoneshirt

stoneshirt Angel Fish

6. Tippytoes12

Tippytoes12 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If you go on a LOB you will have absolutely no problem. Coming from the UK , my husband and I have done many LOBs to Egypt. The divers have included groups of friends , couples , families, dive groups and many many divers travelling solo. Nobody will come all the way to Egypt to stress about how another diver chooses to live her life and the crew will be accustomed to dealing with divers from cultures all over the world and too busy to even think about it.

None of us will Dive forever , so we should enjoy this amazing hobby when we can !

chillyinCanada likes this.
  7. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    Both Philippines and Thailand have great diving, Philippines is a lot better though, and the local wouldn't careless about your personal preference.
    Bali is pretty open on the topic, well at least in certain area, because it is Hindu dominated while Manado is Christian dominated! However, you don't want to be seen holding hand in Banda Aceh!
    I had met a male couple in Malaysia and they told me that they never had any problem in the country. Just use common sense.

Wingy likes this.
  8. Subcooled

Subcooled Assistant Instructor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Perhaps you should dive the world class wrecks of the baltic sea instead. Centuries old wooden wrecks. Intact. World class mines too. You will need a drysuit though as the water is cold. Instead of liveaboards and such you will need to contact a noncommercial diving club. PM me.

txaggie08 likes this.
  9. Sluggoaafa

Sluggoaafa Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Man,

I wish I would have been more focused on this site/page last year when I did my 3-week Caribbean cruise. (of course after I booked my cruise I found out the same line had a Gay cruise going...but I still had fun)

During my cruise, I booked several excursions, as well as 3 separate dives. 1) Costa Maya, 2) Aruba, 3) Grand Cayman

Even though I was by myself on the dives, there were usually 1 or two others from the ship that went as well. Each location, I never felt weird or uncomfortable for being who I was. Of course, I'm not one to jaunt around as a nelly-willy, but being an International Flight Attendant, one learns how to act when in another Country.

I think I was more tempted to follow the dive master when I went for my AOW with my sister (in Fort Lauderdale) as both Dive Masters were freak'n gorgeous (even my sis was foaming at the mouth) LOL .

Anyway, I really enjoy learning about the ILGA site as well as reading aboutt he Gay Scuba Week. Just may have to look further into that for my b-day month in March!!!

(added)
    Forgot to mention, while I was cruising around the Caribbean, my best friend and his husband went to the Maldives for a couple weeks. They had an issue clearing Customs, but since they had the same last name,they formed a plan if they were to be separated and questioned. Luckily everything went smoothly.

They also met a Lesbian couple while at their villa, so their trip ended up being a great experience for them both.

10. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Dive in the Philippines! When I was there I was surprised of how open minded are the people, even in agricultural and supposedly traditionalist areas. You can see lesbian couples and gays not only clubbing in the beach bars but also praying with the old ladies in the catholic churches. As far as I noticed they are commonly accepted everywhere