Beach dolly for scuba tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tongue weight Issue is fixed now that I have moved the wheel axle point out past the back of the end of the platform. I think that I tried 4 or 5 progressively distant positions before reaching something that I considered acceptable. Of course moving it that far back introduces some potential lever issues of it own with respect to the axle support.

A significant disadvantage is how much truck bed space it takes up. Much more than the foldable ones. It will be necessary to pack around it to fit everything in. I am calling it the beast.

63DB9E9E-6DBC-45A2-AE7E-B149C126039F.jpeg

One other thing I was worried about. Since it is such a long distance between the water and the truck, I didn’t want to have to walk it back before the dive to secure it. So what I decided to do is temporarily lock it to the fence / rope in the scrub.

I will be trying it out next week. Hopefully, the balloon tires will not melt in the parking lot and on the walkway before I get to the beach sand. Since it is all stainless, I am going to drive it right into the water and float the rig off and on. The only time I should have to lift the rig is at the truck.

As Mr. G used to say “we shall see”

A significant disadvantage is how much truck bed space it takes up.
When I drove a truck, I made a bracket for the bed cover. I made a different bracket for my van. The wheels were designed to be easily removed by taking out a pin on each side. Room is always a precious commodity.

A significant disadvantage is how much truck bed space it takes up. Much more than the foldable ones. It will be necessary to pack around it to fit everything in. I am calling it the beast.

Any chance of combining only the wheels-and-platform portion of The Beast with the folding dolly?

I this works, that could be the next mod. There is a rail fitting for a gate that might work and make it more compact.

also, if I cut off the bolt heads, I could probably use cotter pins to take the wheels on and off.

You have a lever arm problem. The weight of the twinset is so far ahead of the fulcrum point that tipping doesn't get it to be above the fulcrum. Try putting a milk crate on your existing platform, then the twinset on that, and see if that makes a balance difference that improves the usability.

ETA: Also/or, consider a second set of wheels, that land in the overcenter stable position and spreads the load on the sand. (That reads like word salad -- sb 1 for a sketch.)

ETA2:
View attachment 645797
I think that is why there is a shelf on the model I use.

https://sharkbitescuba.com/overview

I tried one of those sharkbitescuba dollys right after I built mine. They are probably fine for Aluminum tanks, but my LP120 tanks put a lot of strain on my arms. It's all about the COG for me.

I would hinge the bottom attachment points at the platform and handle.Use some 1/8" stainless cable from the handle down to the platform at the far points. Would help being foldable and the cables would give some constraining support to the tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom