Beautiful Day in Morehead City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kentmorrdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Absolutely perfect day on the Olympus boat. Except, 25 divers, which I had never expierienced. Great crew and Captain, good briefs and for 25 divers plenty of room. Despite little wind we stayed inshore. First dive, Indira, 59 fsw for 47 min. Lots of sharks, bathtub warm to 50 feet and 30/40 feet viz. Also, a octopus on the bow, sleeping southern ray, cudas and jacks. 90 minute SI and we giant stride onto tug Titan. 25 divers on Titan makes for a good croud.
Despite the numbers, we enjoyed a juvenile sand tiger shark, a large sand tiger and a spade fish school. 62 fsw for 59 minutes with a third tank air left. The wunderground is calling for good weather Tuesday, so lets go for the sub!

cra**y pix:

IMG_0769.JPG

Day two at the U-352 and the Ashkhabad. Perfect weather. Can't say enough about Capt. Bob, Mr. Bud and Gavin. What a great crew. The whole setup is first class.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info.
My husband and I will be going out with Olympus next week to do the PADI wreck diver course.
Not used to the warm water and sharks, so it will be a great trip.

Thanks for the report, this is just what I was looking for!

The Indra is getting better as the years go by. Between more life moving on to the wreck and the sea pulling the ship open, it is turning into a real wreck dive.

I was down there in June and we had fantastic conditions. Would like to go back soon.

Lionfish34.jpg

Ian-on-Deco.jpg

Turtle71.jpg

Man we are getting a great stretch of weather here in NC this week. I had a customer who is coming in a few weeks ask about the weather in September. All I could say was: "It's hurricane season, the weather is fantastic unless there is a hurricane."

Some friends and I are trying to finish up a tech course. We never got on the Manuela while we were down there so we're trying to finish the deep dives here in the Northeast but it's getting close to end of season now. Maybe we'll come down that way if we can't finish up here and see if we can get some spots on a tech charter. You guys run a nice, clean and safe operation.

I had a customer who is coming in a few weeks ask about the weather in September. All I could say was: "It's hurricane season, the weather is fantastic unless there is a hurricane."

:rofl3: How true that is.

Personally though, I love bearing witness to a low level hurricane, from the shore, of course. I've been stuck on the island a time or two for some low category storms. The sheer power and majesty of the sky, the water, the waves, the colors, is awesome. I remember one years ago where the eye passed right over us. I never knew how still and quiet a beach could be at that moment.

Unfortunately, I remember a "low" category storm as well.

During 2003, Hurricane Isabel decided to pay us a "little" visit in Virginia Beach with winds between 50 and 100 mph.

At the time, my house in Norfolk was at the very end of electric, telephone and cable feeds on my block. Isabel came ashore a Category 1 on September 18, 2003. During the storm, the utility poles for each feed (the last ones on the block in both my front and back yards) were destroyed by falling trees.

41 days later, on October 29th, 2003, a utility truck from the Mississippi Power Company pulled in front of my driveway and reconnected me to the grid. Cable and telephone followed 12 days later.

In that time, I learned the meaning of loss. I watched a neighbor, 3 days after the event, "lose it" to the constant sound of generators. She was never the same. I watched food and gasoline lines form, something I never thought I'd see in a large city. People began to fight each other for the basic necessities. And this was a "minor" storm. It really was.

I ended up moving in with a friend for two weeks to escape the disaster. Don't ever think we are less than 30 days away from Armageddon, because I can assure you, we aren't.

Just turn off the power and cut the flow of food...

:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom