Beautiful day. SE winds. Dead Calm. PORT CLOSED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
0D3CE480-8ECD-411E-B2C0-AE075422EE8E.jpeg
21312402-EB20-4808-B334-688264607F03.jpeg
8DF7220D-DA92-4153-A0C1-245ECE987729.jpeg
A1FB5E63-0238-4534-AE29-CEC18E7538E7.jpeg
Port closed at 10AM. Absolute incompetence. Wednesday there were white caps and it was blowing 12+ from the north when the port was opened after 2 days closed. What is going on around here? ‘Bout time for a new December destination.

Yup. We left at 8 to dive and did fine. The 10am boat was canceled. Now I'm in a hammock watching the Navy patrol calm seas...

I have limited hope for diving if this is what closes the port.

Attachments

• 15448157571747177433968232431091.jpg
    15448157571747177433968232431091.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 53
Please rest assured, the watersports association (ANOAAT) is working diligently with local officials as well as officials all the way up the food chain In Mexico City to stop this absurdity of premature port closures! In fact, as I type this, there is a meeting in progress with Government officials, the Tourism Board, ANOAAT and others regarding this very issue.

I hope it gets resolved. I've been to Coz 3 or 4 times in December and looking at next December. I know it's always a risk but this is giving me pause. You go to other forums for dive destinations and you just don't hear this continual crap in Bonaire or Roatan or elsewhere.

Yup. We left at 8 to dive and did fine. The 10am boat was canceled. Now I'm in a hammock watching the Navy patrol calm seas...

I have limited hope for diving if this is what closes the portfolio k
Km.

Yeah. We were tied up at a pier for our SA and what comes walking down the pier to the dive boats? Some Mexican official and 3-4 Mexican military personnel in full combat gear gripping their M-16’s. A first time tourist would have thought a military coup was underway. We were ordered to depart the pier and return to the marina. If I want to see military exercises I’ll go to an air show in the states... No need to spend $1000’s on a vacation to watch the Mexican Navy patrol the marine park.

Deepsea thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures of the island I miss. I'm sorry this happened to the divers. Well wishes for continued safe bubbles to all of you once the port reopens!

O
Yeah. We were tied up at a pier for our SA and what comes walking down the pier to the dive boats? Some Mexican official and 3-4 Mexican military personnel in full combat gear gripping their M-16’s. A first time tourist would have thought a military coup was underway. We were ordered to depart the pier and return to the marina. If I want to see military exercises I’ll go to an air show in the states... No need to spend $1000’s on a vacation to watch the Mexican Navy patrol the marine park.

It was a perfect day for a parade. Did they have their lights flashing?

Sorry that you and your boat mates and others had to experience this today. It angers me (and other shop owners) beyond explanation that this is the image our authorities are giving of Cozumel. I just spoke to Cesar, the President of ANOAAT who represented us in the meeting today. He said it went very well - as I have information that can be shared, when it can be shared - I will keep you informed.

If Coz gets a bad reputation surrounding this issue, it will be really hard to undo it, may end up like Bonaire and it's permanent stigma regarding crime/theft. Word gets around faster than ever these days! Personally I research the crap out of my planned trips, scouring Scubaboard...Undercurrent.org...etc., as my precious vacation time and money are valuable to me, I won't waste time with any dive location or dive ops if I detect too much instability, flakyness there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom