Becoming a Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked with a retired SEAL. When I first met him I wanted to talk to him about diving. He told me he liked parachuting and the ground warfare stuff but hated diving. As far as he was concerned, he could care less if he ever dove again. Just goes to show you that often times when your hobby becomes a job, it can lose a lot of it's appeal.

I could address questions on canadian Forces dive training easily, not so up on the US armed forces but generally it sounds like you got excellent advice.

On the citizenship stuff (I have a green card as well) check out the immigration laws concerning citizenship (which I have been doing lately) there is a clause on the books that allows fast track citizenship for those that join the US military in a time of war. It is a time of war. I'm OK with the 5 years from Green Card however, already did my 10.5 years in the military!

I didn't have the patience to read everything that everybody had to say, so please excuse me if I repeat something. I'm not an expert on this subject, but I do work with navy divers all the time, I've been active duty in the navy for the last 9 years, so maybe you can take something away from what I have to say.

First off, all recruiters are the same, they lie, bs, distort the truth, and tell you what you want to hear to get you to sign up....why? it makes them look like they're doing their jobs....unfortunate, but true.

As for the seal training, you'll probably be asked in bootcamp if you want to try out. This meant waking up 2 hrs before everyone else (0230) to go pt with the seals for a few weeks. If you pass their test, from what I hear you'll be given a chance to go to seal training, only after you pass bootcamp and your rating school. If you've been picked up for the nuclear field, you are SOL ofcourse....nukes cannot apply, due to their job requirements.

If you really want to become a navy diver before seal training, you can go through your rating school, report to your boat and request such a school, but it is not always guranteed and is based on the ships need at that time. For instance, most submarines train 4-5 people to become divers...(one or two nukes at the most.) If these billets are already filled when you report, you're SOL till one of them leaves. And even then, your primary job will be your original rating and not diving. You will only dive when the ship is leaving port, and it is your turn to (amongst the rest of the divers). Now...This might be different on a surface boat, but that's just from my experience.

You can always request SEAL training....from what I hear, they're hurtin for more people....

and for the security clearance thing, I thought you recieved your citizenship when you serve in the US military?

I'm a naturalized citizen myself....had to get a waiver to come into the nuclear program.....and I've had upto a "secret clearance" with no problems...it's really based on a "need to know" from then on....but it shouldn't be a problem.

remember....talk to the guys that are in the diving program...the seal teams...or the navy....don't ask the recruiters anything...they'll just tell you what you want to hear.

hope it helps....

and to address the laser eye surgery thing, I've heard that it disquals you, due to the outer flap of your eye potentially bubbling up when you ascend........unless you do PRK which is a method in which they just shave the outer layer off....(I know a diver that's had this done...and he said it hurts...alot..)

O.K., this is an old post, but I can't help but respond to some of these comments in case someone looking for accurate information reads these. I spent over 9 years in Navy recruiting. All recruiters do NOT lie to get a signature. The best ones do just the opposite. It is just like anything, a few bad apples make everyone look bad. We always tried to weed those types out fast. Don't need them. The Navy provides excellent opportunities and doesn't require lies. As far as getting a "guarantee" for diving, kids are doing the wrong thing. Yes, you can get it guaranteed. However, the guarantee costs you an extra year of enlistment and you still have to pass the physical fitness testing to get in. If you fail, you are reassigned in accordance with your desires AND what the needs of the service are. Guess which is higer precedence??? I always recommended to my kids to pick a job they were interested in that also happened to be a source rating for diving/SEALS. You can take the physical fitness test for diver anytime you want and if you pass you can apply to the program. This doesn't cost you the extra year AND you already have a job you wanted in case you don't make it. The guarantee program was developed just to make people feel like they were getting more than they were. That was due to complaints from enlistees. Be careful what you wish for!

For anyone looking to join, don't rely on "friends" or someone who knew someone who used to be in the Navy. Recruiters have the most up to date information. Write down your questions and insist on accurate answers from the recruiter. If you don't feel you are getting it, request to speak to his/her supervisor. The best recruiters always make sure they take care of their kids. They then return to be the best recruiters for them.

Finally, diving in the Navy is not all going to the best dive sites and hanging out! Most of the time you will be in nasty water doing repairs or recovery. There are the times that you fly somewhere exotic do a security swim and hang out for 3-4 days and fly back! Anyway, think long and hard about it before you decide to go that route. You can always be a recrational diver wherever you are stationed just like anyone else!

Here's a question. anyone have information on Navy Reserves Dive Program? I am too old for the Navy but maybe get in the reserves. Can't really find info on becoming a diver with the navy in the reserves. And I also learned from many that a recruiter will say anything to get you to sign. I'd rather hear from your guys.

Hi everybody!
I was wondering if anyone knows how well a females chances are of making a navy diver? I'm 5'9" and 130lb with an athletic build, but my friend says that's not enough to make a diver. I really want to be a navy diver and I think I could make it. I'm very determined and lived on Kauai my whole life so the water is a very familiar place to me. I'm in the process of contacting a recruiter, but I want to know the real deal. Appreciate all information.

Hi everybody!
I was wondering if anyone knows how well a females chances are of making a navy diver? I'm 5'9" and 130lb with an athletic build, but my friend says that's not enough to make a diver. I really want to be a navy diver and I think I could make it. I'm very determined and lived on Kauai my whole life so the water is a very familiar place to me. I'm in the process of contacting a recruiter, but I want to know the real deal. Appreciate all information.

Although only a small percentage of Navy divers are women, it is not a closed rate and is a good career choice. Read his article Spotlight On: Ocean Careers Barbara Scholley - Diver, U.S. Navy

She started as a diver and retired as a Captain, commanding a mobile diving and salvage unit.

Well, I say don't let em' grind you down. I'm a skinny guy who works with some really big dudes and I hear it all day long. Screw em!!!

BUT, I think someone in the Navy could give you a more realistic answer.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom