becoming a PSD...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PolsVoice

Reaction score
I live in TX and would like to become a volunteer PSD for search & recovery (guns, bodies, etc.) and or learn how to investigate underwater crimescenes... What hoops should I jump through to be able to do this? (maybe even full-time... don't FDs and PDs have staff divers?)

curious,

-PV

PolsVoice:
I live in TX and would like to become a volunteer PSD for search & recovery (guns, bodies, etc.) and or learn how to investigate underwater crimescenes... What hoops should I jump through to be able to do this? (maybe even full-time... don't FDs and PDs have staff divers?)

curious,

-PV

You might want to quiz member "Gary D." on this one and find out what path he took to attain his current position.
Cheers

I take it you're not already on the police/sheriff/fire department rolls, eh?
Being on the police force or fire department would be the first thing to do, most PSDers are department members.
The civilian volunteers are mostly in underfunded locations away from population centers.

PolsVoice:

curious,

-PV

Call all your local departments, Fire, Police and Sheriff, to see what they require.

To be a good underwater investigator you must first be a good investigator out of the water.

Then you need to get PROPER training. A Rescue course doesn't cut it for PSD work. It's good to have and know but it isn't designed for this work.

There are some good underwater investigation books out there.

Good luck, we need good PSD's to fill some old shoes that will be leaving someday.

Gary D.

PolsVoice:

curious,

-PV
Go read the recovery we just did. Just the body position on this one rattled my cage.

Gary D.

PV,
I'm going to put my two cents in and expound on what Bob3 told you. Looking back on how I got my creds is not the way to go. Though I am a career LEO, and a veteran of many homicides, suicides, and the like dealing with evidence, crime scenes, and deceased persons, OJT is the way I got a lot of my training, and that's a dangerous and poor way to learn. The investigative experience you gain from this is invaluable if you plan to do any underwater crime scene investigation. However, there are MANY functions a PSD can perform without having to be underwater crime scene certified and all the other fancy titles.
You need to do some soul searching and ask yourself why you want to do body recovery and the like. There are many before you with big, expensive sport diving titles that thought they did to until push came to shove. Ask yourself if you can dive for a neighbor whom you've stood on your front porch for years and talked to, whose family members have worked for you, then ask yourself if you can dive for the small children that were killed either by murder or manslaughter, after the turtles and alligators have nibbled on them. And if you still want to do it, start visiting the PSD websites like SMART Divers right there in Texas and the like, and take the opportunity to train and listen to old experienced PSDers before you. You'll be glad you did. Hope this helps. Good luck and dive safe.

Scubado36:
PV,
I'm going to put my two cents in and expound on what Bob3 told you. Looking back on how I got my creds is not the way to go. Though I am a career LEO, and a veteran of many homicides, suicides, and the like dealing with evidence, crime scenes, and deceased persons, OJT is the way I got a lot of my training, and that's a dangerous and poor way to learn. The investigative experience you gain from this is invaluable if you plan to do any underwater crime scene investigation. However, there are MANY functions a PSD can perform without having to be underwater crime scene certified and all the other fancy titles.
You need to do some soul searching and ask yourself why you want to do body recovery and the like. There are many before you with big, expensive sport diving titles that thought they did to until push came to shove. Ask yourself if you can dive for a neighbor whom you've stood on your front porch for years and talked to, whose family members have worked for you, then ask yourself if you can dive for the small children that were killed either by murder or manslaughter, after the turtles and alligators have nibbled on them. And if you still want to do it, start visiting the PSD websites like SMART Divers right there in Texas and the like, and take the opportunity to train and listen to old experienced PSDers before you. You'll be glad you did. Hope this helps. Good luck and dive safe.

Very well put.

I have recovered several of my neighbors and people I have known. I recovered the brother of a guy I see almost daily who lives just down the street. Those you can NEVER forget nomatter how hard you try or want to.

I'm getting closer to posting one that has bugged me for around 15 years. Someday soon.

Gary D.

every city,county or municipality is different and runs differently your best bet is to ask your local police and fire department. you may have to choose between both paths or both paths may be the same it all depends where you live. Gary D hit it right on the money.

Why would not public service departments just utilize qualified individuals for search and recovery, volunteers if you would. Are there legal implications?

The Kracken:
Why would not public service departments just utilize qualified individuals for search and recovery, volunteers if you would. Are there legal implications?
"Budget"

Some departments do contract outside for "Search & Recovery" but it doesn't work well for "Rescue".

It's easy to get in-house people qualified if the department believes in and supports diving operations.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom