Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find getting a tiny bit of salt water in my eyes stings, but not when I flood or remove my mask entirely. I don't really understand why that is.

Yes, me too. It is the splashing of the eye between water and air that is so bothersome.

Chlorine pool bothers my eyes much more than warm ocean water. Once you eye is fully flooded, in a moment it is comfortable.

If the water is less than 50 degrees, it is pretty much torture. Keeping your eyes shut helps a little. Swimming long distances with no mask in cold water seems like the perfect way to demonstrate you can function with a mask failure. If you can do that, you sure should be able to replace a mask that fell off or failed. I'm sure it is a huge confidence builder.

And the surface swim you have to do all geared up? We had to go across the quarry and back. Instructor likes to go beyond the standards. SDI allows that.

Took me about an hour. Nice and slow. Did it on my back. Standards don’t specify which way it has to be done. No point in tiring myself out before the class dives had started. There was no time limit. The first dive on Saturday was 99 minutes!

And the surface swim you have to do all geared up? We had to go across the quarry and back. Instructor likes to go beyond the standards. SDI allows that.

Took me about an hour. Nice and slow. Did it on my back. Standards don’t specify which way it has to be done. No point in tiring myself out before the class dives had started. There was no time limit. The first dive on Saturday was 99 minutes!

How far is this swim? damn!

Looks like about 2000' round trip.

Capture.JPG

Does saltwater actually sting your eyes? For me the temperature if the water is way worse than the salt water. No mask here in Monterey hurts after more than about 30 seconds but the eyes are fine. No mask in S Florida wasn’t even remotely an issue.

Is this different for different people?
I almost like a little salt water in my eyes. Hate pool chlorine. When I had to demonstrate mask skills in the pool it was always with eyes closed (I explained the chlorine was the reason).

Back
Top Bottom