Been Diving for awhile - Now experiencing panic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another possibility, based on my own experience. How much did you exert yourself during the dive? Rights after ruling certification, I enjoyed myself a lot under water, and thinking / knowing that I'm physically fit, I was swimming around like a maniac. Check this out, gomover there, chase this fish, outswim that guy. And predictably the reg could not keep up, CO2 retention ensued, and it was not pretty. I was able to calm down, and eventually these experiences (more than one, I hate to say) led to a change in my diving habits. I'm now fine with just enjoying myself in just hanging there and not doing anything, just watching and leisurely finning when I want to go somewhere.

Yes...very much true! Both times we had a pretty good current and I was swimming HARD to keep up with the divemaster. I kept trying, but I really felt like I was just gasping for air and started to panic. When we FINALLY got to the surface (felt like the LONGEST safety stop EVER!) he said he was going to cut the dive short anyway because of the super strong current. I have no problem taking it easy and enjoying the view...but when the dive party takes off and leaves me...that's no bueno. :(

If looking to get your own gear, look for a balanced regulator. It will help at depth and when pressure in tank gets lower. Mr OOO used to get nervous on rental regs until he got his own. All better now.

If you are getting true panic attacks which are physiological responses, that is a whole other issue that you will want to speak to your doctor about.

Ugh...yep, I'm kind of thinking there is some underlying issue. I'm going to do some "self-therapy" - spending LOTS of time in the pool, reminding myself how comfortable I am in the water! haha. I'll look for a balanced regulator as well... Thanks!

Hi teresak, there are a lot of regulators that have a venturi lever and a control to adjust the inhalation effort (ScubaPro, AquaLung, Hollis, and most others offer these features in mid and high end regs). If you've experienced this on multiple rental regulators though (I would suspect they're breathing ok), you might consider other things like a wetsuit that's too tight around the chest making you labor to expand your lungs, which then further starves you of air. A balanced regulator helps at depth, but I wouldn't dive deep until you've absolutely diagnosed the cause of the panic and done several shallow dives to ensure it's gone. Good luck and happy diving.

It was just 2 occasions. Yeah, I'm thinking the wetsuit might have something to do with it. I can't wear a hood because that's too constricting. (I've become claustrophobic over the years and the hood is a big NO.) If the suit is too tight around my neck I don't like it either. I'm told in Cozumel you don't need a wetsuit, and therefore, less weight, etc. so maybe that will help? I think I'll just tell the divemaster upfront that I don't want to go on any deep dives, so if that's in his plans...leave me at the beach with a snorkel. Thanks for your input! :)

I would stake a month's wages the equipment was perfect. Stress related shortness of breath is largely due to CO2. I have experienced this myself once (and still dive the same reg 10 years later).

The realisation of what you are doing sometimes is enough to trigger it. We are not meant to breathe underwater. Your body is just telling you not to. Try to get some more diving before your holidays and be prepared to cut it short then have another go and so on. Tell yourself you can do it - because you can, you've done it before.

Nothing to do with the equipment. Nada. Zilch.

Okay...good to know. Yeah, the death of Rob Stewart really hit me hard. I guess I'm realizing the danger and letting it get to me. We won't be able to scuba dive before Cozumel...I'm going to spend a lot of time in the pool with mask and snorkel. I just found out there will be two new divers (one who will probably overdo it and "keep up with the big boys" and the other who is nervous and cautious.) I'll stick with the nervous & cautious diver and if we need to cut our dive short, at least I won't be alone. Thanks!

Have any of you seen bull sharks in Cozumel? I live and breathe sharks...literally, I'm obsessed, but I have a deep-seeded fear of bulls. I'll dive with every other shark, but bull sharks scare the bejeebies out of me. Hoping bull sharks are just a rare sighting for Cozumel dives? Anyone?

At the end of the day you can demand more air than most regulators can provide you with. This can cause you to panicked you aren't able to get all the air you want. This leads to you trying to breathe deeper which exacerbates the problem and causes further panic.

Yep...I'm going to take it easy and enjoy! I found out there will be a couple new divers in our group...so I'm feeling better about taking it easy and not trying to keep up.

Have any of you seen bull sharks in Cozumel? I live and breathe sharks...literally, I'm obsessed, but I have a deep-seeded fear of bulls. I'll dive with every other shark, but bull sharks scare the bejeebies out of me. Hoping bull sharks are just a rare sighting for Cozumel dives? Anyone?

I did not see bull sharks in Cozumel doing 4 dives a day for almost a week. From what I gathered, it is a very purposeful event to see them if you wanted to. I think there were some operators doing it out of Playa del Carmen.

Greate white and tiger sharks are supposedly statistically more of an issue than bull sharks..... :) I've dived with tigers (14 feet) and they were nice while we were around. :D

I'm thinking it was probably the equipment and/or the exertion level, rather than "you".
If you open that little dial up on a reg to maximum flow, it will breathe easier. Downside is it will tend to free-flow easier when dangling, but that's a minor and fixable thing you've already dealt with.

But in case I'm wrong (even though I'm an English major and therefore know everything) and it's behavioral, try the above in fairly shallow depths before going deeper.

Yeah...If I end up NOT buying my own reg, I'm going to really look at the rental equipment and make myself comfortable with it (as I should do anyway.) I tend to believe that all English majors are ALWAYS correct (or so I tell my husband) but, I'll practice shallow until comfortable! Thanks! :)

I did not see bull sharks in Cozumel doing 4 dives a day for almost a week. From what I gathered, it is a very purposeful event to see them if you wanted to. I think there were some operators doing it out of Playa del Carmen.

Greate white and tiger sharks are supposedly statistically more of an issue than bull sharks..... :) I've dived with tigers (14 feet) and they were nice while we were around. :D

I would LOVE to encounter tigers...that would be awesome! Cage diving with great whites was top of my bucket list, but we did it last year and I want nothing more than to GO BACK and do it again. Yeah...from what I heard, the operations that sell "bull shark dives" out of Playa del Carmen are creating problems by feeding them. I'd swim with white sharks before bulls...bull sharks are just flat out mean and aggressive.

The one time I really felt like I wasn't getting enough air from my reg- I had realized my tank valve wasn't open all the way. I can imagine your situation *might * also be the same problem. That valve only open, say, 3/4 of the way might seem fine - right until you get down a few feet...then you're sucking through a straw.

Add some cold water and some current, and whoa ? ! How deep did you say this was happening? Either way - since the DM is setting up your gear- I would make a habit of doing all that stuff yourself. Hey- it's your life down there. Nobody but YOU should be giving all this stuff the final check before getting wet.

This is a different feeling altogether from feeling spooked underwater. I've been spooked a few times.

Back
Top Bottom