Been diving forever or started late?

At what age did you get scuba certified?

• After 50

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • in my 40's

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • in my 30's

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • in my 20's

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • teenager or younger.

Votes: 26 20.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK,
This is for those of us over 50.
Trying to figure out how many of us came to this hobby after we reached 50.
If you started diving regularly before there was certification.. then just use when you started diving.
I'm guessing this will end up being a bimodal distribution.

I started at age 19 and turn 62 this year. So that's a lot of years and lots and lots of dives :).

When I vacation on Maui I generally turn in well over 100 dives in 4 weeks each year. I still manage to log a good 300+ a year even now.

You didn't ask how old we are now. I started diving when I was in my late teens, but since that was in the 1950's, there was no certification to be had. Or at lease where I lived. I first got really trained in the Army in 1968. But my PADI cert is only from 2007. So, I guess I really don't fit in your poll very well.

You didn't ask how old we are now. I started diving when I was in my late teens, but since that was in the 1950's, there was no certification to be had. Or at lease where I lived. I first got really trained in the Army in 1968. But my PADI cert is only from 2007. So, I guess I really don't fit in your poll very well.
I think you would fit into the teenager category.

Thanks Frank, I haven't been called a teenager in a loooooong time. :)

Capt D

I had to click "in my 40s" because I was 49 and my wife was 48, but we did nothing for almost three years after getting certified in Sep 04. Started diving in April 07 and that's the date we really consider our start date. But hey, I didn't fudge.

Learned when I was 51. It was the right time.

Started diving as a teen (1968). Took a couple of decades off to raise my family but back with a vengence.

Certified at 17........started diving at 50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom