Been diving forever or started late?

At what age did you get scuba certified?

• After 50

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • in my 40's

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • in my 30's

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • in my 20's

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • teenager or younger.

Votes: 26 20.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started in my 20's - but have had more dives since turning 50 than the previous 25 years combined. Didn't log dives but I likely did my 100th dive on a trip the the GBR for my 50th and will likely log my 300th this year and the GBR trip was only a couple of years ago.

I certified 3 months short of my 50th birthday, thereby avoiding a bunch of additional medical clearance hassles.

Just never found the time to do it until after the kids had gone off to college and I had retired. Should have made time for it much earlier.

Just got certified at 50.

Figured that I could finally afford it and if I didn't go it now, I likely never would. Grew up with Sea Hunt and Jacques Cousteau, not to mention Voyage to the Bottom the Sea. I always wanted to become a diver.

Sorry to jump in a bit early. I am T- 6 months to 50. Started diving in late 2001. My wife and kids gave me a OW course as a birthday present. The kids not regret it a bit. As for my wife - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. The only problem is that I have less money for photo gear seeing as how we need standard gear for both of us.

Started diving at 14 (before PADI and NAUI existed), certified at 22 (LAC) but diving much more intensely now in my 50's and 60's than at any other time in my life.

I got certified NAUI in early 1974 in Up-State New York. I was 14. I did my ocean check out dives with Howard Hall when he was teaching at the SCUBA Locker in Escondido, CA, in 1975.

Then I took a hiatus until 2006.

My wife, although a dedicated Southern California Beach Goer, wasn’t thrilled about being in the wet portion of the beach. That changed over time. On our summer vacation in Puerto Vallarta in July of 2006, she decided that snorkeling wasn’t enough and we should get certified to dive. We were signed up for classes within 24 hours of returning home.

We jumped in with a vengeance. We bought all our gear before the first class pool session.

Since then, we’ve done PADI OW, AOW, Nitrox, Deep and Wreck. I’ve also done PADI Rescue, California Lobster Diver, and DM. I’ve also done DAN DEMP and DES.

Oh, I turn 50 this year!:D

Ian

Certified in NASDS 'skin' diving (scuba) at 16 years old//1971.

April 1970; I was 17. Somewhere I have B&W photos of the open-water dive at a now defunct quarry in NJ.

April 1970; I was 17. Somewhere I have B&W photos of the open-water dive at a now defunct quarry in NJ.

That quarry in NJ was called "the quarry"..located in Hamburgh NJ off rt 23..I certified many people there in the 70's through a NASDS store located in Bronx NY..we had so many students that the store used to hire a big bus to take everyone and equipment there almost every other weekend.
Gary,were you one of those people?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom