Beginner diver in Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Birsa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Dear forum members,
Good evening to everyone,
I am new into diving world, just decided to take the OWD certification. I completed the theorical part successfully and next week I am going into the practical stage.
Needless to say I am pretty excited and I look forward to network with some of you, experienced guys.
I am based in Panama, which is the main driver for me to start this sport, besides being a big lover of marine life.
:)
Ciao!
Max

Welcome aboard. My only tropical dive trip was to Panama (Caribbean side-Portobelo, with Panama Divers). It was quite good. Where are you based?

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Max! Good luck with your open water!

Welcome Max,

You've got some great diving opportunities there in Panama. Coiba is a pretty amazing place, but you'll need some experience before you tackle that. I strongly recommend Golden Frog Scuba in Portobelo. I've been diving with them for several years and they are a really solid operation. Try the Thai curry in the hotel restaurant where the shop is, it's a great post dive meal and a refreshing change from the typical Panamanian fare!

Welcome aboard. My only tropical dive trip was to Panama (Caribbean side-Portobelo, with Panama Divers). It was quite good. Where are you based?
Hello!
I am based in Panama City, I will be taking a part of the certificate in Portobello indeed.

Welcome Max,

You've got some great diving opportunities there in Panama. Coiba is a pretty amazing place, but you'll need some experience before you tackle that. I strongly recommend Golden Frog Scuba in Portobelo. I've been diving with them for several years and they are a really solid operation. Try the Thai curry in the hotel restaurant where the shop is, it's a great post dive meal and a refreshing change from the typical Panamanian fare!

Hello Ryan, thank you for your message. For the certificate I have already enrolled with Scubapanama based in Panama city, However the open water dive will be in Portobello.
Isla Coiba is definitely on my bucket list, and I want to get some skills before going there. Also Bocas del Toro looks amazing, did some wonderful snorkeling there last month.

Hello Ryan, thank you for your message. For the certificate I have already enrolled with Scubapanama based in Panama city, However the open water dive will be in Portobello.
Isla Coiba is definitely on my bucket list, and I want to get some skills before going there. Also Bocas del Toro looks amazing, did some wonderful snorkeling there last month.
They told me that Sir Francis Drake was buried at sea around Portobelo (near Drake Island I recall). Think they said they threw him overboard in a cement coffin or something. Wonder if he met Jimmy Hoffa.

@TMHeimer, yes, that's what I hear, near Drake Island. Unfortunately, my friends have yet to find his gold!

Welcome Max....We enjoyed diving Contadora sp?...worth the boat ride to the island.

Dear scubadivers, thank you for your messages. For now I have passed my OWD and I am pretty happy about it!
Next dives will be here in Panama and I was considering Isla Taboga. As @flyboy08 Isla Contadora is on the wishlist, I have been there before for whale watching and loved it. I might be combining a working trip to Jamaica with a diving opportunity, I was considering Ocho Rios as I will be based in Kingston and would be a bit challenging to reach Montego Bay area / Negril. Any advice for beginner location in central america are welcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom