Beginner diving last week on June - recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvaP

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are a family of five (3 kids aged 13-18) and are planning a diving holiday last week of June next year in Asia.
We would have just done our Open Water in April (and a few extra dives), but are pretty much beginners.
What location would you recommend - we are looking to fly from Australia (not too complicated to get to) and for a nice resort with also other activities?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers, Eva

Gili Air! Nice easy beginner diving, easy to get to, just fly to Bali then a fast ferry to GA. You'll see plenty of turtles a shark or 3 some nice corals and the dive sites are close. Plenty of things to do there and really nice beaches for you to chill on while the kids play.

Hey Eva,
Certainly Gili islands are a good choice for diving but Bali has excellent dive sites both for beginners as well as advance divers. Why spend extra money on going to Gili just for a few days ? ( my personal opinion, boring haha )

Anyway, on the island of Bali you have a few options which Neptune operates as well:

1. Padang Bai - the south-east corner of Bali. There are a total of 9 dive sites just around the cost with a a boat ride of maximum 5 to 10 minutes. As you will be having your OW certification, certainly you will have to go to Shark Point just outside the port of Padang Bai where you can see the White Tip Reef Sharks.

Padang Bai is famous for variety, underwater macrophotography... small stuff but again, you have to try Shark Point.

Underwater conditions, low or almost no current, excellent for beginners as there is where most of the dive centers are doing their PADI Courses.

2. Nusa Penida - this trip practically you are leaving the island of Bali heading to Nusa Penida. Probably the highlight of scuba diving in Bali, you will see the majestic Manta Rays at Manta Point and beautiful coral and underwater fauna at Crystal Bay.

Despite all articles regarding Nusa Penida, underwater conditions are good for even Discover Scuba Diving there so don't listen to everything that people say :))

3. Tulamben - recently open after the volcano situation, this is where you can see the famous USS Liberty shipwreck as well as the artificial dive site called Coral Garden. Hot dive sites with water temperature year-round at approximately 29 degrees, this is a shore dive.

One part of the wreck is located at approximately 15 meters deep so your OW certification will suit you perfectly for this dive site.

There's however a pretty long ride from south of Bali to reach Tulamben, estimated 2 hours but absolutely worth it as you are going up the mountain and then down the mountain to reach the east coast of the island. The scenery is majestic :)

Overall, these are the best worth mentioning in an initial conversation but there are quite a few more dive sites: Amed, the rest of the dive sites at Padang Bai and perhaps the drift dives at Nusa Penida.

With respect and appreciation,
Julian

Hey Eva,
Certainly Gili islands are a good choice for diving but Bali has excellent dive sites both for beginners as well as advance divers. Why spend extra money on going to Gili just for a few days ? ( my personal opinion, boring haha )

Anyway, on the island of Bali you have a few options which Neptune operates as well:

1. Padang Bai - the south-east corner of Bali. There are a total of 9 dive sites just around the cost with a a boat ride of maximum 5 to 10 minutes. As you will be having your OW certification, certainly you will have to go to Shark Point just outside the port of Padang Bai where you can see the White Tip Reef Sharks.

Padang Bai is famous for variety, underwater macrophotography... small stuff but again, you have to try Shark Point.

Underwater conditions, low or almost no current, excellent for beginners as there is where most of the dive centers are doing their PADI Courses.

2. Nusa Penida - this trip practically you are leaving the island of Bali heading to Nusa Penida. Probably the highlight of scuba diving in Bali, you will see the majestic Manta Rays at Manta Point and beautiful coral and underwater fauna at Crystal Bay.

Despite all articles regarding Nusa Penida, underwater conditions are good for even Discover Scuba Diving there so don't listen to everything that people say :))

3. Tulamben - recently open after the volcano situation, this is where you can see the famous USS Liberty shipwreck as well as the artificial dive site called Coral Garden. Hot dive sites with water temperature year-round at approximately 29 degrees, this is a shore dive.

One part of the wreck is located at approximately 15 meters deep so your OW certification will suit you perfectly for this dive site.

There's however a pretty long ride from south of Bali to reach Tulamben, estimated 2 hours but absolutely worth it as you are going up the mountain and then down the mountain to reach the east coast of the island. The scenery is majestic :)

Overall, these are the best worth mentioning in an initial conversation but there are quite a few more dive sites: Amed, the rest of the dive sites at Padang Bai and perhaps the drift dives at Nusa Penida.

Julian

Gili Air boring?
New divers will love it. I say new divers, more experienced divers can find better, but new divers will be pretty happy. When I go to Gill Air , I've usually loaded up on dives on Bali. Then on Gilli Air after I get restless I'll do an afternoon dive and get my fix in. Charming island with plenty of resorts and restaurants to choose from with some really nice beaches. Sounds boring to me...not.

Yes Padang Bai has some nice reefs and macro but saying there is no current on them isn't accurate, they are in the same area as Nusa Penida which if famous for currents and its drift diving which I wouldn't reccomend for a family of 5 new divers. Oh yes they can go to Penida and dive Crystal Bay and Manta Point and be just fine if their guide is able to babysit 5 brand new divers. If not they could get into real trouble. Ya don't pay any attention to what people say about about Penida and it's challenges. Also Padang Bai isn't very charming nor scenic unless you like watching people getting on and off ferrys to the Gillis.

Tulamben has great diving but it's best diving is about macro and muck, not exactly the thing most new divers are into. Most new divers want to see turtles, sharks and pretty colorfull fish and could care less about some tiny critter they can barely see. I love it there, but I'm a macro fanatic. The reef dives will be not be from a dedicated dive boat so will present a challenge getting on and off the boat.

Others may chime in here to clarify the issue, but I'm sure Julian would appreciate your business at NSD. I don't have any agenda besides trying to provide guidance to new divers looking for a good experience.

@dirtfarmer - I tried to write this reply for you in different ways but I couldn't find the right one specially to tackle the concept that Padang Bai is the same as Nusa Penida and doing 5 on 1 groups ... you made the entire dive center laugh this morning haha

@EvaP - Staying on the positive and safety side of scuba diving, Padang Bai is excellent for beginners because of the proper conditions, variety in dive sites and underwater fauna as well as accessibility from all points in South Bali. Nusa Penida is an option also specially for seeing the Manta Rays at Manta Point.

My recommendation, to be able to have a proper comparison, check out some reviews on TripAdvisor ... divers explain in details their experiences and that will help you decide where to go, what to do and with whom.

Julian

@EvaP Don't forget local diving. We have some great diving around Melbourne for divers of all levels of experience and a number of really good shops to choose from. Only issue is the water gets a bit chilly, at least until you decide to dive dry. April is ok in a 7mm wetsuit, but if possible, I'd recommend doing your open water cert in summer and getting a few more local dives under your belt before your winter escape.

Back
Top Bottom