Beginner diving suggestions in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boglefish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I am new to diving (under 20 dives) looking for suggestions to dive in July for 2 weeks (any location). I will be traveling alone and plan on hiring a dive guide. What place will have a balance of good diving, food and reasonable costs?
Appreciate all your feedback.

My trip of choice is Cozumel. I went there the first time on a trip home from Saudi. Everyone on here has their favorite location. With you being in Saudi Arabia, I'm sure folks like @Diving Dubai and @RainPilot can offer suggestions for that region. I also enjoyed the Red Sea while I was living in Riyahd. We always took our newbie divers there. For "fun" a group of DM's and Instructors would rent a huge houseboat out of Dhahran from Wednesday thru Friday. That took a bit of organization, but it was GREAT fun. Saw my first sea snake on one of these trips and my first whale shark, which I "rode". It was quite thrilling. Wouldn't do that now, but I was young and dumb back then - 1986. I have NO idea what it's like today. Good luck. Stay safe and Have FUN! Welcome to the sport/hobby!!!!

Cheers -

Edit: Rechecked my log books and changed 1987 to 1986 (October 2, 1986 - 32 yrs 5 mos. 4 days ago)

Cozumel is great, but have you thought about doing a live-aboard? Blackbeard's scuba cruises in the Bahamas is about the most cost-effective per-dive option I've found -- and you can actually get your AOW certification on the cruise (so 5 dives with a Dive Master) for a fraction of the cost most places. The accommodations are quite basic (bunks with curtains for privacy, etc.), but the food is actually quite good (amazing considering the galley is not much bigger than many airplane galleys). Blackbeard's parent company (All Star Liveaboards) also has some more upscale liveaboard boats with nicer accommodations, but higher prices also.

From your location, I would consider back to back weeks with different itineraries on a liveaboard in the Red Sea. I don't know if there is anything available to you in Saudi Arabia, Egypt would be easy. Simple to travel as a single, at worst you'll have roommates. I'm sure you could arrange some training and/or a private guide until your confidence and experience grow. You would still have the opportunity to dive with the group. You sure would increase your dive number and experience

Cozumel is great, but have you thought about doing a live-aboard? Blackbeard's scuba cruises in the Bahamas is about the most cost-effective per-dive option I've found -- and you can actually get your AOW certification on the cruise (so 5 dives with a Dive Master) for a fraction of the cost most places. The accommodations are quite basic (bunks with curtains for privacy, etc.), but the food is actually quite good (amazing considering the galley is not much bigger than many airplane galleys). Blackbeard's parent company (All Star Liveaboards) also has some more upscale liveaboard boats with nicer accommodations, but higher prices also.
Rob, Thanks for suggesting us. Blackbeard's still has some space available for July but we also have space on the Cat Ppalu for back to back weeks if you were looking for a 2-week trip. You would be able to complete your AOW course and getting experience on a variety of dives from walls to blue hole, swift drift, shark dives, night dive and more. Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have - kevin@allstarliveaboards.com or 954-734-7111.

My trip of choice is Cozumel. I went there the first time on a trip home from Saudi. Everyone on here has their favorite location. With you being in Saudi Arabia, I'm sure folks like @Diving Dubai and @RainPilot can offer suggestions for that region. I also enjoyed the Red Sea while I was living in Riyahd. We always took our newbie divers there. For "fun" a group of DM's and Instructors would rent a huge houseboat out of Dhahran from Wednesday thru Friday. That took a bit of organization, but it was GREAT fun. Saw my first sea snake on one of these trips and my first whale shark, which I "rode". It was quite thrilling. Wouldn't do that now, but I was young and dumb back then - 1986. I have NO idea what it's like today. Good luck. Stay safe and Have FUN! Welcome to the sport/hobby!!!!

Cheers -

Edit: Rechecked my log books and changed 1987 to 1986 (October 2, 1986 - 32 yrs 5 mos. 4 days ago)

Really enjoyed Cozumel and Bonaire last two dive trips. Those are great options, but trying somewhere new.
Saudi does have a few options, but the dive ops are not that great. Egypt is another option for sure.

Go across the border to Aqaba. Some awesome diving there too.
Mostly shore dives. you have corals, wrecks, walls, etc.

Cozumel is deep for open water cert and can have high currents. It is doable with that cert though. The visibility tends to be good, the fish life is good and it is inexpensive.

You could go to Little Cayman. It is more expensive than Coz. Tends not to have currents. Good fish populations. Lots of turtles and Nassau grouper. Good visibility. And you can easily dive it with an open water cert.

On Coz, if you go on a 6 pack, you could just stick with the dive master. On Little Cayman, the groups are bigger and you can do the same. In either place, you will be assigned an insta buddy. The insta buddy can be anywhere from non existent to great.

Madeira

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom