Beginner photographer needs light advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A better option than either of the two strobes linked is to find a used YS-01 flash. Has TTL like the YS-03, but you can also use it in manual mode. Used they typically go for $250ish. It's a good basic flash that will be easier to grow into and doesn't have the limitations the YS-03 does. Additionally, you are going to want much longer arms than those YS-03 kits come with. Especially if you are diving in New York. Something like this: Optical Ocean Modular Single Sea & Sea YS-01 Lighting Package

Finally, please consider buying through an underwater camera store instead of Leisurepro. You will find much better advice and be able to talk to someone who knows cameras. They typically aren't any more expensive, either. User JackConnick on here is the owner of Optical Ocean Sales and provides valuable information on the board. It's worth supporting him instead of Leisurepro for that alone. Same price on that YS-03 package, by the way.

I use opticaloceansales.com as they are local, as well as Bluewaterphotostore.com. There's also Backscatter.com and Reefphoto.com.

A better option than either of the two strobes linked is to find a used YS-01 flash. Has TTL like the YS-03, but you can also use it in manual mode. Used they typically go for $250ish. It's a good basic flash that will be easier to grow into and doesn't have the limitations the YS-03 does. Additionally, you are going to want much longer arms than those YS-03 kits come with. Especially if you are diving in New York. Something like this: Optical Ocean Modular Single Sea & Sea YS-01 Lighting Package

Finally, please consider buying through an underwater camera store instead of Leisurepro. You will find much better advice and be able to talk to someone who knows cameras. They typically aren't any more expensive, either. User JackConnick on here is the owner of Optical Ocean Sales and provides valuable information on the board. It's worth supporting him instead of Leisurepro for that alone. Same price on that YS-03 package, by the way.

I use opticaloceansales.com as they are local, as well as Bluewaterphotostore.com. There's also Backscatter.com and Reefphoto.com.

Thanks. Yes I have been in touch with a couple of those stores- just used the Leisurepro links to show what I was looking at. They have been super helpful. I will keep my eyes open for the strobe you mentioned, as I will not be even trying the setup until April at the earliest. Oh, and I do not dive in NY. Tropical only!

Back
Top Bottom