Beginner Sidemount trim issues.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichigandiverJon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
Just starting my journey into sidemount. Currently doing pool sessions prior to Quarry work later this month. I'm 6'1" 190 lbs and My current set up that I'm using for the pool is: 5 Mil one piece wetsuit, no hood, no gloves, 3 mil boots, DiveRite XT fins, Nomad XT with Tec Plate and weight plate on the back mounted as high as I can put it with two pounds total in the top pouches. Tanks are AL80s with Tec3 regs. I have the ring bungees cinched all the way up to the guides on the wing, my bottle trim in relation to my torso isn't terrible, but the top of the tanks could be a bit higher yet. Crotch strap is tight, I've tried to move the lower tank band down to force the tanks forward towards my armpits. Moving the lower snaps to the waist D rings helps, but then the tanks drop when they're full (negatively buoyant) I have the lower snaps as close to the tanks as I can. Currently two pounds is all I need in the pool to stay down with no air in the wing and no other gear besides my computer.
My issue is that I am heavy by my feet and they sink when I try to hover. Breathing the tanks down and making them go positive isn't enough to solve it either The majority of my diving will be Great Lakes with steel tanks and drysuit and I know the set up will be completely different for that. But I will very likely be diving this or very similar to my pool set up open water in FL occasionally so I'd like to dial the trim in better with this set up as well. Not sure what else I can move to improve this. I don't think adding weight is the answer. Or is it? I could use some ideas. Thanks!
me2.jpg
me.jpg
me3.jpg

Shorten the bungee on the loops, move the 4lbs to the top of your shoulders with bungee. See how that works......options; thicker neoprene boots or drysuit.

Steel tanks will change things a bit, you’ll still be leg heavy so consider the above changes and see how it goes.

Bend your knees, the lower part of your leg should be vertical. Failing that, move the 2lb higher or get lighter fins.

I agree! Bending the legs at the knees will change your fulcrum point and can make quite the difference in where you need the weight.

sm2.jpg
sm1.jpg
like people have said...bend your knees a bit...just less than 90 degrees. To sustain this position you may need some body conditioning...because if you are not used to it...it will start to hurt after a while and your body will naturally want to relax and your legs will start to drop. To strengthen the lower back, hamstrings, quads and calves and even abdominal muscles lie on your bed on your stomach...lift your legs up into position and hold for aslong as possible....then let them down just a little bit....then raise back up...hold for longer and longer. Repeat for days or weeks.... View attachment 514206 View attachment 514206

Bend your knees. Sliding d-rings on the waist strap (or a pair). Get rid of the ring bungees. When you get to the steels you can use the butt plate. Still get rid of the ring bungees, by their design they put the tanks lower.

Also, ditch the Tek3's. Sell them to a rebreather diver and pick up a set of DST first stages. You want 5th port with a rotating turret for hose routing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom