Beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eileen,

You are not alone!

Barbara (my better half) had all sorts of trouble during cert classes with mask clearing. She even thought the instructor was about to give up on her! But now she clears without even a second thought!

The breakthrough for her was just pushing with ever increasing force at the top of her mask. That sort of levered up the bottom of the mask enough to let the water out when she breathed through her nose.

Actually, it was all psychological: she just did not want water coming into her mask. Since the "breakthrough" she clears her mask any way she wants: it just took one success to give the confidence.

She achieved her "breakthough" by going to pool and just fiddling around until it worked. That instructor, who was absolutely great, just did not know how determined a person Barbara is. The message: experiment until you find what works for you.

Now, in my case, I did it the hard way: I, by mistake, completely flooded my mask. Now it was either sink or swim time and I managed to get all the water out. After that experience, clearing was not a big event!

One more thing: some people do not like the stinging of salt water when they let water in their masks. Easy solution: close your eyes. You can also do that when you are required to completely remove your mask and redon it. However, if you drop your mask, be sure to open your eyes to find it!

Go for it! This is really one of the greatest sports there is!

Joewr

Hi Eileen,

That particular pool session you are speaking of is what I jokingly refer to as the "Drowned Rat Class". It is the hardest pool session for most. You were very self concious of yourself...but believe me, the others in the class probably didn't look or perform much better.

Succeeding classes I find do get much easier for the students.

JOE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom