Beginner's Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MARK1992

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

First off thanks for reading and providing valuable advice.

I'm just a newbie at diving, completed my OW, AOW and EANx courses not too long ago. Been itching to get back ever since.

Now, my friend who works at a dive shop has offered me what I assume were old training equipment used by students from his shop. Comprising of Scubapro T One BCD, Mk2/R295 regs, mask, snorkel, fins and weightbelt. I'm pretty much only interested in the BCD and regs as I've got the rest before completing the training courses. He's looking at SGD700, or just shy of USD500 for the lot. He says they've been continually maintained at his shop.

Note: I can and am willing to pay a bit more for mid-high end equipment for futureproofing, saves me selling these when I have progressed beyond this. Also, I'm from Singapore, which pretty much means travelling by air (mostly) for decent dive spots. Weight and size are a significant consideration.

What are your thoughts?

For the BC and Regs $500 seems high for used. We don't get the T One here but they appear to sell new for about $339 USD. The equivalent X-One which sells here weighs around 9 lbs. depending on the size. That's not really what I call a travel BC since most are under 5 lbs.

Scubapro sells their Lighthawk which is a travel BC. For comparison purposes it's a back-inflate model (not a jacket) and retails here in the US for $414. (Amazon) it's 5.2 lbs. https://www.amazon.com/Scubapro-Lit...90344973&sr=8-6&keywords=scubapro+litehawk+bc

Of interest an option could be buying one here and dealing with the customs/duty since LeisurePro currently has the 2013 version on sale for $249. IDK what your price would be landed in SG though. Scubapro Litehawk BC, Black

Other travel options are the Aqualung Zuma, the Cressi Travelight or the Zeagle Covert - all are travel BC's and should weigh under 5lbs. Covert advertises it's the lightest at 3.9lbs. Both it and the Zuma fold up small enough to go as a carry-on. Google Travel BCD's for other options.

The regs are good regs but the current bottom of the Scubapro line - actually even older since there's an MK2 EVO model now (unless your friend is selling those), New they're about $309 USD used a quick google search shows a functional working set - not a rental set - for $120 US and a 2nd set for $200 which I think is too high personally.

The other issue with a MK2 is the original design dates back to the early 60's so they only come with one HP port. Some divers like 2 - one for their AI computer transmitter and a 2nd for a backup small spg.

Last edited:
For the BC and Regs $500 seems high for used. We don't get the T One here but they appear to sell new for about $339 USD. The equivalent X-One which sells here weighs around 9 lbs. depending on the size. That's not really what I call a travel BC since most are under 5 lbs.

Scubapro sells their Lighthawk which is a travel BC. For comparison purposes it's a back-inflate model (not a jacket) and retails here in the US for $414. (Amazon) it's 5.2 lbs. https://www.amazon.com/Scubapro-Lit...90344973&sr=8-6&keywords=scubapro+litehawk+bc

Of interest an option could be buying one here and dealing with the customs/duty since LeisurePro currently has the 2013 version on sale for $249. IDK what your price would be landed in SG though. Scubapro Litehawk BC, Black

Other travel options are the Aqualung Zuma, the Cressi Travelight or the Zeagle Covert - all are travel BC's and should weigh under 5lbs. Covert advertises it's the lightest at 3.9lbs. Both it and the Zuma fold up small enough to go as a carry-on. Google Travel BCD's for other options.

The regs are good regs but the current bottom of the Scubapro line - actually even older since there's an MK2 EVO model now (unless your friend is selling those), New they're about $309 USD used a quick google search shows a functional working set - not a rental set - for $120 US and a 2nd set for $200 which I think is too high personally.

The other issue with a MK2 is the original design dates back to the early 60's so they only come with one HP port. Some divers like 2 - one for their AI computer transmitter and a 2nd for a backup small spg.

Hi diversteve,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

Wow, it appears the deal he's offering isn't particularly great. I did visit a shop and they were offering brand new mid to high end equipment for not much more. I think I might have to do more shopping.

The ScubaPro Mk2 and Mk2 EVO 1st stage is/are the lowest performing regs that SP makes, by far. They are unbalanced piston designs.

Personally, I would only consider using one of those as a reg for a deco bottle.

For a reg to keep for long term and use as my primary breathing reg, I would look for a balanced, diaphragm 1st stage (versus unbalanced and versus a piston design). Balanced is just better, period, and a diaphragm design is a bit lower maintenance and generally preferred if you happen to dive in cold water.

For a 2nd stage, I would also be inclined to prefer a balanced design. I don't know if the R295 is balanced, but the R195 and R095 are not, so I suspect the R295 is not, either. The SP A, S, and G series all appear to be air balanced 2nd stages.

Specs on the various SP models of 1st and 2nd stages are in here:

http://www.scubapro.com/media/369689/scubapro_regulators-eng.pdf

Equipment threads on SB can become quite heated and off topic so be prepared to shift through the info for points that apply to you. I don't know Singapore prices but here that would be considered high. There are several SB members from that region that might be able to help you on local options.

@buddhasummer @Centrals

Last edited:
Scubapro sells their Lighthawk which is a travel BC. For comparison purposes it's a back-inflate model (not a jacket) and retails here in the US for $414. (Amazon) it's 5.2 lbs.
If you decide you want a travel BC, you can get the newer version of the SP Litehawk significantly cheaper here in the UK (£219 = USD273 = SGD383), not sure about shipping costs to Singapore though (you have to contact them) but probably still cheaper than buying in Singapore unless you find a good deal.
E.g. Scubapro Litehawk BCD Discount code 'Mike5' for an extra 5% off.

Last edited:
Wonderful, thank you so much for your replies. A local shop is offering me a Hollis HTS 2 and DC1/212 reasonably. I might go with that.

I will say Hollis reg are kind of not a good choice. They perform OK, but especially 2nd stages are very low in build quality. Unless you get a very deep discount on them, I will skip them. BTW, they are on deep discount all the time.

HTS 2 is very expansive harness, $345 without a wing. Add the wing, your BC is up to $6xx range. That is without any weight pockets or tank bands. Add them, you are looking at Halcyon price range, which is a lot higher quality.

Hollis does make some good items, but most just don't make sense.

Last edited:
He's offering those with an octo and SPG but without weight pockets for USD780. How's it sound?

What is the break down for the BC and the reg set? It is easier to compare item for item instead of a lump sum. And I assume wing (air cell) and cam bands are included in this price, right? If so, what wing do you get?

Note: I can and am willing to pay a bit more for mid-high end equipment for futureproofing, saves me selling these when I have progressed beyond this. Also, I'm from Singapore, which pretty much means travelling by air (mostly) for decent dive spots. Weight and size are a significant consideration.

What are your thoughts?

Since our mentioned future proofing, what type of diving do you see yourself for your next step? The best deal is the deal that you buy once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom