Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the best way to make the edges of the harness not fray after you cut them?

There is a YouTube video on this by Innerspace Explorers.

Thanks for the pointers guys. I just trimmed my harness and crotch strap finally and burnt all of the edges. On the edge that goes through the belt loop I like what that guy in the video above did so I rounded it off, and then I put some super glue on it. I figure that end will have the most "wear" since it will be going through the buckle and what not constantly.

It's crazy how trimming the ends of my harness and crotch strap make the BP and harness look so much more minimalist.

I'm wondering what the "standard" way people store/hold DSMB+spools with BP/W setups.

Is it typical that people buy a pocket to store them in? Or are they typically clipped off on a d-ring? Or is it all just personal preference and both methods are used regularly?

I'm wondering what the "standard" way people store/hold DSMB+spools with BP/W setups.

Is it typical that people buy a pocket to store them in? Or are they typically clipped off on a d-ring? Or is it all just personal preference and both methods are used regularly?

In my opinion, it's helpful to keep them in a pocket versus having them clipped off to a D-ring. I do my best to avoid entanglement hazards since I dive in the land of kelp and rock structures. Also it’s an easy spot to reach!

I have my DSMB+spool attached to a ring inside my left pocket. This allows me to keep an eye on my depth (computer on my right arm) while I'm getting the DSMB and spool out of my pocket.

I keep them in my pocket by using two medium sized double enders to attach them to the inner-pocket ring. When I'm removing the DSMB and spool from my pocket, I clip the double ender attached to the DSMB to my chest D-ring and use the one on the spool to attach the spool to the DSMB like you see here:

Little wordier than I would've liked, but I'm not home to grab photos at the moment. If you think it would be helpful, let me know and I'll snag some once I'm home later today :)

I also have a question about BP/W maintenance.

Is the recomended maintenance just to soak it in a tank after you are done diving? BP and Wing?

I just used mine for the first time in a pool and I just put all of my gear in the tub with some of my wetsuit shampoo for a bit then rinsed it all off and hung it out to dry. I didn't do anything specific to clean out the inside of the bladder or anything like that, and I actually kept the hoses outside of the tub I was soaking it in.

I wasn't sure if that is good enough or if there is something proper that I am not doing. I also saw there is BCD cleaner by the same company that makes the wetsuit shampoo (and odor eliminator) that I have, and was wondering if any of that stuff is necessary.

I also have a question about BP/W maintenance.

Is the recomended maintenance just to soak it in a tank after you are done diving? BP and Wing?

I just used mine for the first time in a pool and I just put all of my gear in the tub with some of my wetsuit shampoo for a bit then rinsed it all off and hung it out to dry. I didn't do anything specific to clean out the inside of the bladder or anything like that, and I actually kept the hoses outside of the tub I was soaking it in.

I wasn't sure if that is good enough or if there is something proper that I am not doing. I also saw there is BCD cleaner by the same company that makes the wetsuit shampoo (and odor eliminator) that I have, and was wondering if any of that stuff is necessary.
You’re already part of the way there! I like the steps outlined in
Dive Gear Maintenance Made Easy

To save a click or tap -

“Rinse your BC in fresh, warm water. Even better, add a small amount of unscented shampoo or a dive-gear wash solution to the rinse water. Take all the air out of your BC, place it in the bottom of the rinse tank, hold it down with your weights and let it soak for about 30 minutes. Then, drain the tank, rinse the equipment to remove most of the soap, refill the tank with fresh water and allow the equipment to soak a few more minutes to remove any soap residue. To rinse the inside, depress the manual-inflate button and hold the mouthpiece under running water until the BC is 60 to 70 percent full of water. Shake the BC to agitate the water and then drain it through each of the dump valves and the inflator hose. You should use each of the dumps, including the pull dump on the BC inflator hose, to remove salt crystals and sand from each of these important valves. Once you drain the water, fully inflate the BC, allow the remaining water in the BC to settle for a minute or two, and then drain it again. Finally, inflate the BC to about 50 percent of its volume and let it air-dry away from direct sunlight.”

Back
Top Bottom