Belated Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatree

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is a belated Cozumel trip report for May 7th thru May 16th of this year. This marks our 30th year of traveling to Cozumel, our first trip being in September of 1981. Our first trip, we were young and newly certified open water divers from West Texas. We were such experienced divers, that we had a total of 3 open water dives at Possum Kingdom Lake in Texas before our first ocean trip.

Dive number 4 in my old NASDS log book shows an 80’ max. dive at Palancar Reef for a total dive time of 35 minutes. The old log book says it all….”Beautiful, could see bottom from boat!” I was Coz addicted. I never wanted to dive a Texas lake again…beer cans, batteries, fishing lures, no visibility, etc.

We stayed at the old Cozumel Caribe Hotel (aka the “Bates Hotel” now). Back then it was a showplace. Our 2 tank dives took all day. No computers, just tables. We did a deep dive and went to San Francisco Beach and ate what was caught while we were diving. After lunch and our surface interval we did our shallow dive. It took all day for 2 dives. We did 6 dives total on that trip and had the time of our life. Back then we were young and fit, there were no cruise ships, only divers and fishermen. We ate at Morgan’s, Pepe’s, Casa Dennis, and partied at the old upstairs Carlos and Charlie’s and the old Scaromuch’s disco ( I may have misspelled that). Back then there were very few air conditioned businesses and they actually shut down in the afternoon for siesta.

I have seen the island transform from a sleepy diving and fishing destination with no cruise ships to a major cruise destination. I have also observed the standard of living for the local people to improve greatly over the years. I hear a lot of complaints about the changes to the island and I don’t like all of them either, but we can’t stop progress. I also remember when flying was fun!

We actually dove with Tom Hartdegen as our dive guide, founder of Dive Paradise, dive number 13 and 14 in my log book. It was September 16, 1984 our second trip to Cozumel. Tom told us how he had come down from Louisiana on a dive trip and fell in love with the island. He moved down and started his dive operation, which is in operation today. There is a photo of him on Dive Paradise’s facebook page we posted of him from that day. Great memories!!

Fast forward 30 years later. Our last trip in May 2011 we stayed at our “home away from home”, Hotel Cozumel and Resort. We had a 2 purpose mission on this trip. We were going to dive and also compete in the 40th annual “Rodeo de Lanchas Mexicanos” or the annual 2 day deep sea fishing tournament. We had scouted it out for the last 2 years figuring out how it works and what was required to enter.

We don’t dive as hard as we used to as we are now older and have “been there and done that”. We have dived with Dive Paradise, Aqua Safari, Dive Palancar, etc. We now book private dives, just the spouse and I, or our small group that is with us. We normally use Freddie Contreras with Mestizos Divers or Hector Aguilar of Aguilar Divers.

We have never had a bad dive operation in 30 years of diving Cozumel. We have never been “shaken down” by the police, cheated at the gas station, ripped of by the taxi drivers, overly harassed by the time share salesmen, etc. We have always found the Cozumel people to be friendly, happy, and I am proud to have made many local friends over the years that we try to see on each trip when we return .

This time we booked with Manuel Rejon Patron, Cozumel Scuba Diving | United Divers | Diving in Cozumel, Mexico | Mexico Scuba Diving. Manuel has 2 boats, a diving boat and a fishing boat. We hired him for diving and also for the fishing tournament.

We dived with Manuel at Columbia Shallows and did 75 minutes taking photos. My spouse and I like to think we are “underwater photographers”, and Columbia Shallows always allows us a lot of time and opportunities to practice the art. Manuel proved to be the ultimate dive guide, he kept a watch full eye on us and let us “do our own thing” after he determined we knew what we were doing.

His boat, the “Alma Rosa” is an older, slower, boat and we loved it. It was very roomy and we are old enough that we are not in a race to get to the reefs anyhow. We now just like slow, relaxing, dives with plenty of sealife to photograph. United Divers delivered on all counts.

We also fished the tournament on Manuel’s fishing boat the “Don Juan”. We actually hooked, and lost a 250 – 300 pound Blue Marlin on Saturday morning of the tournament according to the boat Captain. It tossed the hook on it’s 5th jump!! A 225 pound Blue Marlin won the tournament so if we could have landed that sucker, I would have a new Ford Lobo pickup!!

We spent a total of 10 days on this trip. We dived, fished, drank a lot of beer, ate some really great food, visited many good friends, and had the time of our life. We plan to be back down for my husband’s birthday, the 15th of September. He enjoys it because he says they always have a fireworks display and a parade for his birthday!! See you then!!

This is a belated Cozumel trip report for May 7th thru May 16th of this year. This marks our 30th year of traveling to Cozumel, our first trip being in September of 1981. Our first trip, we were young and newly certified open water divers from West Texas. We were such experienced divers, that we had a total of 3 open water dives at Possum Kingdom Lake in Texas before our first ocean trip.He enjoys it because he says they always have a fireworks display and a parade for his birthday!! See you then!!

Excellent report and tour through your memories.

My first trip to Cozumel was in the very early 1990's and the difference between then and now are significant enough for me. I can't imagine what it was like 10 years before my first trip. I met a couple last fall at SCC that have been going there for around 25 years.

I stayed at the Galapagos Inn (now Scuba Club Cozumel) and still have the original T-Shirt I purchased back then.

One day we went to the mainland and tried to get back in time for a night dive but with no cell phones and no way to make a phone call between PDC and the Galapagos we didn't make it back in time. We even tried to make a radio call between a little dive shop at PDC and the Galapagos but that didn't work either. PDC was just a tiny little place and the road to Tulum was a very small two lane blacktop road through the jungle with one or two small resort scattered here and there and a lot of cars and busses abandoned along the road. I think the biggest resort was around Akumal and not much else along the way.

Things sure have changed.

Happy Birthday (in advance) !!!

That was a beautiful window into your lives and your love affair with Cozumel, thanks for sharing.:)

We also fished the tournament on Manuel’s fishing boat the “Don Juan”. We actually hooked, and lost a 250 – 300 pound Blue Marlin on Saturday morning of the tournament according to the boat Captain. It tossed the hook on it’s 5th jump!! A 225 pound Blue Marlin won the tournament so if we could have landed that sucker, I would have a new Ford Lobo pickup!!
I saw the fish that won. They were butchering it on the pier in the marina next to Blue Angel. I hated to see that, but I guess it's better to feed people with it than just to toss it. I caught a blue three years ago, but we took pictures and released it.

It was fun to read your trip down memory lane. My first Coz trip was in 1978, and I have been back at least once every year since the mid 80's. I remember when Chankanaab was literally a wide place in the road and you could snorkel in the lagoon. My favorite east side place was the Naked Turtle (now Playa Bonita), and lunch on the fishing boat was "Robinson Crusoe" style with freshly caught lobster and conch (the deck hands snorkeled for them), and whatever we caught that morning, cooked and served on the then deserted beach down where the hoity toity resorts are now. Carlos n' Charlies had a volleyball court in the middle of it, and the Scaramouche was the only hot spot in town. The turtle steak was the best thing on the menu at Pepe's, and eating there and at Morgan's were the culinary high points of the trip. And what's a cruise ship?

And they are nice people too! :D

Awe :blush: and back at you

I saw the fish that won. They were butchering it on the pier in the marina next to Blue Angel. I hated to see that, but I guess it's better to feed people with it than just to toss it. I caught a blue three years ago, but we took pictures and released it.

Day 1 Fishing 103.jpg

The winner.....

We talked to several people and there is a push to make the tournament catch and release. Since it isn't now, sailfish are not allowed in the tournament, as they are protected and have to be released. Hopefully this will happen and it will make it an even better event.

I remember when Chankanaab was literally a wide place in the road and you could snorkel in the lagoon.

We tell people now about be able to go in the lagoon and they can't believe it. I don't remember exactly when the closed it but I know we went in several different years.

Your story sounds eerily like our own. Fellow West Texans. First dove Cozumel in 1978. The long boat trips, fish cookout on the beach, dinner at Morgans, etc. We took several years out of diving to raise three boys in West Texas, and started up again when they were old enough to get certified.
Now we come to Cozumel a couple of times a year and still enjoy it just as much. Yes, it has changed a lot, but the diving is still fantastic (and safer!), the people are still friendly. We still like to stay in town and look for new taco joints. The only really new activity is looking for the first balloon hat sighting of the day on the Melgar.
We are in Coz right now staying at Suites Bahia and diving with Scuba Mau. Having a fantastic time. We always run into old friends and make a few new ones. As my son says "There's something about about this place that gets hold of you".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom