Belgian diver missing in France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read from an other forum that this so called "safety line" was indeed "buddy line". That would make sense since as the surfaced diver told: "buddy was unable to follow him"

The search has been called off last friday. Coming week, the french court will decide if the Spéléo Secours Français (SSF) will search the deeper section.

They made an attempt to recover the body .... causing the death of another diver ...

2018-07-09 - Font Estramar - 66 - Spéléo Secours Français

Nouveau drame à Salses-le-Château : un sauveteur spéléo meurt au gouffre d'Estramar

yes... and no.

Yes, another diver has had an accident.

No, the death is not caused by the attempt to recover the body.
No, it wouldn't have been a better decision not to risk any lives to recover the body.

Until now, the reason is unknown. He died during the search operation. That's all you can say for now. Forensics are working.

There is always a risk in searching bodies underwater. The divers doing this are perfectly aware of the risks, but they do it.

Please respect those people risking sometimes their life to help families in mourning, recovering a body.

I am not a cave diver but i found this .

I think the supposed accident place may be visible somewhere in the video.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Sunn, post: 8342560, member: 479618]No, it wouldn't have been a better decision not to risk any lives to recover the body.[/QUOTE]

Speaking from experience I respectfully disagree with your comment / assumption. It is not a 'better decision' when a life is tragicaly lost in a body recovery operation. It is simply tragic! A life lost in a rescue opertaion is a different thing.

[QUOTE="Sunn, post: 8342560, member: 479618] Please respect those people risking sometimes their life to help families in mourning, recovering a body.[/QUOTE]

There is no disrepect meant or intended. I am simply stating an opinion shared by myself and others, who have been involved in either a body recovery (in my case) or rescue operations, when another life is tragicaly lost in the pursuit of recovering a person already dead.

That being said, my condolences still go out to the family and friends of both parties.

Last edited:
according information, that I have from our cavedivers - buddy of Marc was cave instructor Denis Kozlow from Latvia.
He had courses there some days before Font Estramar пещеры Окситании кейв дайвинг в июне Франция

from PM:
Only yesterday came infa to NSS-CDS in the States. And then without details.
I know with whom he dived. (censored by next man request). And the question of the death of someone was only a matter of time. His name is Denis Kozlov. Originally from Latvia. I dived with him and, if I may say so, with his students.
According to the friends of NSS-CDS instructors, Mark was completely unprepared for such dives. Yes, he was extreme, but such dives require global training. The fact that it was not in Mark Denis could not stop.

Laurent was die while trying to shoot a video on the video of the state of emergency.
This is the info from the Americans

Last edited:
Deniss posted the following in the Font Estramar group:

June 28, 2018 when performing deep dive in the cave Font Estramar (Salses-le-Château, France) in the vertical gallery Puits du Loukoum died and at the moment is missing my friend and dive partner Marc Sluszny.
The dive was preceded by two preparation days, the rout preparation, bail-out and decompression station preparation. Marc has already experience of together dive on this point vs maximum depth -120 meters. The dive took place on an open cycle, using DPV. In the dive was involved 16 cylinders and 3 DPV, dry suits with vs independent inflation system. Bottom gas Trimix 9/60, stage and bail-out gases Trimix 20/30, EAN32, deco gases EAN50, EAN80, EAN100. The maximum permissible depth was planned at -125 meters, the estimated maximum distance of 550 meters from the entrance. At the final stage of the dive in the vertical gallery Puits du Loukoum (23-25 minute) at depth -100 meters Marc, ignored the breakage of the main line and did not responding on the signals, continued descent vs DPV to depth -114-117 meters, where the gallery does sharp turn, this point was the last place of visual contact with Marc. The attempt to restore the visual contact with the partner was not successful, the descent was taken to depth -122 meters, where was a return point with the subsequent exit to the bail-out and the stage station at the point of Parc Zebra. The point of finding Marc could be at depth -130-133 meters. At Parc Zebra was recorded the fact of untouched stage and bail-out tanks of Marc, then continued ascent and decompression. All stage and decompression tanks, as well as bail-out and additional DPV was left on the route. Primary rescue and search work lasted until 3 o'clock of the night the next day, but unfortunately did not bring any results. The repeated search operation began at the request by Prosecutor of the Republic on July 9, 2018.

On July 9, 2018 in the area 8:00 am began a search operation consisting of 16 people and unit Spéléo Secours Français, on the detection and lifting of the body of Marc Sluszny. During the preparatory work and search in the Parc Zebra area, passed the death accident with rescuer Laurent Rouchette, his body was raised to the surface by his dive partner.

At the moment all the search operations are stopped, the Prosecutor of the Republic initiated an investigation of the death accident of a French rescuer.
FontEstramar.jpg

Deniss Kozlovs
autotranslate by google
On June 28, 2018, while doing a deep dive in the Estramar (Salses-le-Château, France) cave in the vertical gallery Puits du Loukoum, my friend and diving partner Marc Sluszny is reportedly missing.
The dive was preceded by two preparatory days, a laid route, bailout and decompression stations were laid. Mark already had experience of joint immersion at this point and a maximum depth of -120 meters. The dive took place on an open cycle, using towing vehicles. The dive involved 16 cylinders and 3 towers, dry suits with an independent blowing system. Bottom gas Trimix 9/60, stage and beilute gases Trimix 20/30, EAN32, deco gases EAN50, EAN80, EAN100. The maximum permissible depth was planned at -125 meters, the estimated maximum distance is 550 meters from the entrance. At the final stage of the dive into the vertical gallery Puits du Loukoum (23-25 minutes) at a depth of -100 meters, Mark ignored the break in the main lines and did not edit to the signals, continued descending on the tower to a depth of -114 -117 meters, where the gallery makes a sharp turn , this point was the last place of visual contact with Mark. Parp Zebra. The operational visual contact with the partner was unsuccessful, there was an athlete descent to a depth of -122 meters, where there was a perfect turn with the subsequent exit to the bailout and stage station at the Parc Zebra point. The suggested point of Mark's location may be at a depth of -130 - 133 meters. On Parc Zebra was recorded the fact of intact stage and baylon Markov cylinders, after which continued the rise and the passage of decompression. All stage and decompression cylinders, as well as bailouts and an additional towing vehicle were left on the route. Primary rescue and prospecting work continued until 3 am the next day, but unfortunately did not bring any results. The repeated search operation began at the request of the Republic's prosecutor on July 9, 2018.

July 9, 2018 in the area of 16 people and the division Spéléo Secours Français, on the detection and lifting of the body Marc Sluszny. During the preparatory work and the survey of the Parc Zebra district, as a result of the accident, the rescuer Laurent Rouche died, his body was raised to the surface by his immersion companion.

At the moment, all search operations have been stopped, the prosecutor of the Republic, organized an investigation into the death of the French rescuer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom