Belize and Bull Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deus

Registered
Reaction score
We are heading to Belize next month and are thinking about doing the Blue hole. We each have 7 dives 1 @ 100ft and 1 @ 60ft. I am petrified of sharks and the ocean. I started diving to conquer my fears. Though I still 'fear the deep' I have strangely found some comfort there. I have read that there are Black Tip, Bull, ad Hammerheads there. I have heard so much about Bull sharks being agressive and attacking just out of curiousity. I have also heard that Black Tips are dangerous. I work with someone who use to do a lot of diving that there were Bull Sharks and he gave an expression of 'oh boy'.

Does anyone else have any input on this? Also anything I need not miss in Belize and any suggestions for dive shops?

Relax and don't look like a seal, the ones that live in the ocean, not the NAVY ones. :D

Gary D.

If one gets a little to close to you don't just assume he will bite you and hit him in the nose. He my just be passing by and hitting him just wouldn't look right in front of the other sharks so he will be forced to bite you to save face, at least that's what Robert Schimmel says.

So am I understanding that you agree that these sharks are more dangerous than others?

I did not dive the Blue Hole while I was in Belize last year (Jan-Mar) but I dove Lighthouse Reef about 20 times. Didn't see a single shark (much to my disappointment). Don't know how much better your chances are at the Blue Hole, but I really wouldn't worry about it. Simply remain calm, cool and collected even if you're really peeing in your wetsuit!

Dr. Bill

If you were diving alone with Sharks and Scared, then I would say probably not a good idea. But trust me when you dive in a group it's really not a problem. Sharks are opportunists. They don't want to expend more energy than it takes for them to get their meal. Therefore they stay away from groups of people. IF you see a shark...first of all you'll be lucky. Second of All your adrenelin will be going anyway and you will be excited. If you get nervous just let your buddy know and stay close together. I can promise you the sharks will not attack a group of people blowing bubbles. it freaks them out.
Trust me. This animal gets a really bad rap. You fear comes from what? Jaws, the half a dozen news reports you heard? You've heard more reports of planes crashing in your life but you still fly? You've heard more reports of auto deaths but you still drive. If you see a shark just keep it your sight. 99 times they won't even come within 10 Meters/30 Ft. of you> They don't like you to eat. You are far too bony and don't offer enough protein. If they come close they are just making sure.
By the time you finish diving you will look forward to seeing sharks.
Just stick with your buddy and you will be alright.

Deus:
So am I understanding that you agree that these sharks are more dangerous than others?
I started diving in 1962. I have dove in conditions that most divers will never see. I have been with a wide variety of critters and have suffered more injuries from Sea Urchins and Humanoids than any other critter in the sea and never one from a shark.

Relax and watch the sharks. They are not out looking for a bad case of heartburn. They have a real restrictive diet to which we are not a part of and if you don’t look like a seal you can enjoy the dive.

If sharks were true “Man Eaters” there would be very few survivors. They aren’t and that’s why most victims, and there are a very few victims, survive the bite.

Just don’t look like a seal. Surfers do look like seals and a few of them do get bit. But again, we are not part of their diet so enjoy the dive.

Gary D.

I dove the Blue Hole 3 or 4 years ago and several big, snarly-looking bulls followed us in. The guy told us not to look them in the eye because it intimidates them and makes them increase their depth. So if you're looking into their eyes, you automatically increase your depth, as well; not a good idea when you're already pushing (or exceeding) rec limits.

I found all this kind of interesting.

Other than that they were completely polite, though.

Deus:
We are heading to Belize next month and are thinking about doing the Blue hole. We each have 7 dives 1 @ 100ft and 1 @ 60ft. I am petrified of sharks and the ocean. I started diving to conquer my fears. Though I still 'fear the deep' I have strangely found some comfort there. I have read that there are Black Tip, Bull, ad Hammerheads there. I have heard so much about Bull sharks being agressive and attacking just out of curiousity. I have also heard that Black Tips are dangerous. I work with someone who use to do a lot of diving that there were Bull Sharks and he gave an expression of 'oh boy'.

Does anyone else have any input on this? Also anything I need not miss in Belize and any suggestions for dive shops?

When I went to Belize almost 2 years ago, I was a relatively new diver and had never gone below 90 ft. I was going to pass on the Blue Hole (the depth scared me) and do the other 2 dives the boat was doing, but the shop owner said I really should do it. There were distant blobs which the DM signed were sharks, but they were far away. Later he told me they were black tips. The people who had gone out the day before didn't see any sharks. So if you see any, you are lucky and not in much danger.

Lighthouse Reef is great. And if you want to do another unusual thing, go see the manatees.

I am done watching shark week. Never again! lol

Thank you all for you input. Looks like I will hit the hole and not miss it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom