Belize and Bull Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deus:
Do Sharks see color? Reason I ask is I wonder if wearing certain colors affect thier actions at all

Also any Whale Sharks?

Most oppurtunistic predators do, so I would think so. I don't think they eat anything blue, so I tend to dress accordingly. Somebody working with it once said that yellow on black was an attractor but I don't know if they were able to prove it conclusively. Sharks don't cooperate with studies, much.

They depend on surprise a lot, and are not brave animals, so it's usually going to be a surprise attack. Thus if you'r number's up then it's up - but the chances of that are ridiculously minute. Box jellies kill WAY more people than sharks.

When I was in Galapagos with billions of them I found myself spending as little time as possible splashing around at the surface like an injured seal. Even then there were days when we saw literally dozens of dorsal fins at the surface cruising back and forth when we were climbing into the boat. Kind of got used to it.

I've never actually heard of a diver being attacked under water.

I too, share the fear of sharks in open ocean, albiet unjustified. Thank you for your post, it helps put me at ease.

Randy

molksmith:
If you were diving alone with Sharks and Scared, then I would say probably not a good idea. But trust me when you dive in a group it's really not a problem. Sharks are opportunists. They don't want to expend more energy than it takes for them to get their meal. Therefore they stay away from groups of people. IF you see a shark...first of all you'll be lucky. Second of All your adrenelin will be going anyway and you will be excited. If you get nervous just let your buddy know and stay close together. I can promise you the sharks will not attack a group of people blowing bubbles. it freaks them out.
Trust me. This animal gets a really bad rap. You fear comes from what? Jaws, the half a dozen news reports you heard? You've heard more reports of planes crashing in your life but you still fly? You've heard more reports of auto deaths but you still drive. If you see a shark just keep it your sight. 99 times they won't even come within 10 Meters/30 Ft. of you> They don't like you to eat. You are far too bony and don't offer enough protein. If they come close they are just making sure.
By the time you finish diving you will look forward to seeing sharks.
Just stick with your buddy and you will be alright.

Thank all of you for your replies. You've helped me quite a bit.

R.

drbill:
Hey Gary... hello from another "old fart." I started diving in the winter of 1961-62 as well.

Dr. Bill
According to some on the boards we shouldn’t be here because the way we dove was so dangerous. :D

Ever have to show your AARP card to get a tank filled with Geritol? :D

Hehehe

Keeping in line with the thread, the sharks were much bigger back then and we had to swim 5 miles, up hill both ways, to carve out a stone tablet of them.

Gary D.

Molk is right... they don't like to eat humans... so most likely, he'll take a bite out of you and you'll bleed to death or go into shock... but you won't get eaten :11ztongue

Not that I'm experienced by any means but all I need to know I got from discovery channel...

Don't look for a confrontation... you'll lose
Keep your eyes on them and stay aware
Sharks really have no interest in us
Shark attacks on divers are pretty rare
Don't rub fish all over your body and flail around making seal noises in your reg (that one's mine :wink: )

Enjoy them... I haven't seen a shark while diving yet but I love those animals... amazing creatures.

molksmith:
They don't like you to eat. You are far too bony and don't offer enough protein.

Hhhmmm.......How do they know we are too bony without taking a big bite first?

I don't know about the rest of you people but it sort of sounds like molksmith is describing a chicken wing, I love chicken wings. Maybe sharks have their own version of chicken wings?

getwet2:
Hhhmmm.......How do they know we are too bony without taking a big bite first?

I don't know about the rest of you people but it sort of sounds like molksmith is describing a chicken wing, I love chicken wings. Maybe sharks have their own version of chicken wings?

Yup - they're called sea lions.

We actually AREN'T too bony but we are too ugly and smelly and make too many bubbles.

However, this IS an animal who has been known to eat a bicycle, so nothing's an absolute.

That is pretty funny actually.
While I am not looking to marry a shark, I do get disturbed at how hysterical people are about them. The greatest danger in the Ocean is your own stupidity or error. Sometimes one in the same. I know that all of those statistics and stories don't help when part of your body is inside a sharks mouth but seriously we kill so many more of them (rough estimates 100 Million a year) than they do of us. And Divers figure so low on that percentage that it is not worth noting. Should we feed them? NO. Should we Chum for them, NO. Should we make them connect us with food and feeding of course not. You are looking at a creature that is one of the oldest things in the history of this planet. We should me more filled with wonder than fear. I can remember when I was younger getting a big kick out of eating "Shark" Steaks. I cannot believe I ever did that but we all do stupid things at different parts of our life. Who can say. Sure as we enroach on THEIR turf we risk mishaps. But seriously how can the people on these boards continue to portray these beautiful and necessary parts of our planet as having human and vindictive feelings. And you know what? we keep up this attitude and there won't be many sharks left anyway. And then the ocean will be as screwed up as our land. They are animals and just like a dog, or a bear, or any other animal they can be unpredictable. But trust me and tons of evidence they are not going to attack a group of divers. Does that mean you swim towards it and give it a hug? no. But as long as you use your brain and whatever common sense you have you are going to be fine.There was a time in my life when I loved the Film "Jaws" . Good acting, classic story, etc. But now that film and others along with "Shark Week" have to go unless they give that animal the fair shake that we give all predators. IF you want 100% safety from everything stay in the pool, but you still may die driving there.

LOVE THE SHARK!!!
I know it sounds like I am on a soapbox but you all have had that experience where you knew you would encounter sharks and you got in the water and what happened?
NADA!!!

Later Frog People!!!

Not to change the subject too much but what are the chances of seeing a Whale Shark in Belize in the beginning of March?

I am now hearing that there are salt water crocs too at the lighthouse reef. IS this true and are these a different story?

Deus:
Not to change the subject too much but what are the chances of seeing a Whale Shark in Belize in the beginning of March?

I am now hearing that there are salt water crocs too at the lighthouse reef. IS this true and are these a different story?

Whale shark - in my experience your chances are at best miniscule, wherever and whenever.

I don't quite get what you're asking about crocs but I think I'd avoid'em at all costs if they were any size. Do we really get them in this hemisphere? Definitely climb the ladder at Half-moon Quay to see the red-footed boobies. Wow. Just like a little piece of Galapagos, except their feet are the wrong colour.

Other sharks - once and for all, they're just like bears: when you see a bear in the park you don't freak, you just excercise common sense. Such as do not feed them. Duh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom