Belize Dive Haven?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe Scubaboard Surge would go with such an unknown factor, at best. Maybe SB is getting a ridiculously low rate (not passed on) in the hopes that this group can lend credence to this resort.

I would be glad to do a detailed, critical review of Dive Haven, if someone would send me there :)

I'll join you, same terms. LOL

I checked the price and didn't perceive it to be marked up at all.

@ReefHound Feel free to compare it to Turneffe Island Resort.

You know what SB is paying?

I never said "marked up". I wasn't saying that SB marked up the price for members over market rate, I was wondering if SB received a significant cut-rate price and didn't pass it on, keeping it at market rate. Becuase I can't think of another reason why SB would choose BDH over another place like Turneffe.

Yes, compare it to Turneffe. A known commodity. A resort that has been around for decades with thousands of satisfied customers. A resort that is 10x more likely to still be around in a year.

The point isn't about what BDH purports to offer for the cost, it's about whether they will actually deliver on the promise. And looking at past SB Surge destinations, they seem to always be at well-established resorts with strong reputations. That is why I am surprised that they are using such a new place with such scant "reliable" reviews. I mean, here SB is one of the most reliable sources for destination reviews by divers, and the *only* thread in Belize forum with "Belize Dive Haven" in the title is from someone last year who was planning to be there this upcoming March.

You know what SB is paying?

I never said "marked up". I wasn't saying that SB marked up the price for members over market rate, I was wondering if SB received a significant cut-rate price and didn't pass it on, keeping it at market rate. Becuase I can't think of another reason why SB would choose BDH over another place like Turneffe.

Yes, compare it to Turneffe. A known commodity. A resort that has been around for decades with thousands of satisfied customers. A resort that is 10x more likely to still be around in a year.

The point isn't about what BDH purports to offer for the cost, it's about whether they will actually deliver on the promise. And looking at past SB Surge destinations, they seem to always be at well-established resorts with strong reputations. That is why I am surprised that they are using such a new place with such scant "reliable" reviews. I mean, here SB is one of the most reliable sources for destination reviews by divers, and the *only* thread in Belize forum with "Belize Dive Haven" in the title is from someone last year who was planning to be there this upcoming March.

What is market rate at Belize Haven?

I saw another group post their trip somewhere on the internet and it was more than Scubaboard's.

I'm not involved in the Scubaboard Surges in any way shape or form. My opinion is as independent as anyone's.

They have a way to go. I’m struggling to find any review that references prior negative reviews and expands on how the resort has improved...still... a year to go before surge..

Verified traveller
Jan 4, 2020
  • Disliked: Staff & service, property conditions & facilities
Not as advertised

Simply put they have a fraction of the items they mention on their site, they aren't close to ready for opening and if you want to do anything but diving you'll be disappointed. Listed: 2 restaurants, a Spa, a bar at the end of a pier, 5 star resort and white sand beach. Actual: 1 kitchen where a single option is offered at set times with few options for changes and no snacks (not even for purchase), no spa, no bar at the end of the pier and a massive unfinished hotel where staff are hard to find, and forgetful. The beach is small and typically you'll be attacked by bugs (not in the hotel's control, but makes it hard to enjoy the beach) unless the wind is in your favor. With no bathroom doors and windows into the shower, the rooms have little privacy and little sound blocking from room to room. The diving was lovely and the guides educated and helpful, but for a dive resort with 90+ rooms, they didn't even have enough rental equipment for the less than 20 guests on the property at the time. That meant we both had to dive in illfitting wetsuits. Truly, not a single part of this resort is ready for guests!!!

Stayed 4 nights in Dec. 2019

Seems cheap though. For the diving and food included..although a bit weird that the travel company organizing doesn’t even have it included in their recommended accommodation in Belize...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom