Belize on the cheap.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luvs2playy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I know its been asked but I'm not up to the search and sort of information. I want to spend about 6 days in Belize during July with probably 4 days of 2 tank dives. How cheap can I do this? I was just researching Cozumel and can do flight and hotel for $550 plus 4 days of diving for under $300. I was in Cozumel last December

Hmmm. That's pretty cheap.

Maybe if you hitchhiked to Belize and slept on the beach?

If price is your major consideration, and it sounds like it is, you probably should head back to Cozumel. Or maybe Key Largo.

I spend $850 just on r/t airfare to BZ City.

Essentially - when planning a dive vacation in the Caribbean/Central America - no place will be cheaper than Cozumel.

Deputy Dan is right on the money. By the time you figure accommodations, diving, meals, international flights, and other out of pocket expenses....all calculated against the USD to Peso conversion, or even USD to USD, Cozumel is a good deal.

Utila costs 10 USD / day to stay and 10 dive package is 299. 362 gets you 7 days of stay at Alton's and 10 dives including reef fee.

I just returned from a week in Belize. I spent about $860 RT from Southern California to Belize City. Belize adds a hefty departure tax into your ticket. In addition to that, you will need to get to your final in-country destination. If you are going to San Pedro (Ambergris Caye), you will spend another $130-$150 on Tropic Air or Maya Island Air. You can get a 10% discount on Tropic Air through tacogirl.com - Blogging San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. Some of the dive shops or hotels can you get you air discounts. You can always travel by car or boat as the case may be but that adds more time.

Your accommodations can be from cheap to expensive. I spent $115/night + tax which was for a condo with a kitchen, A/C, cable TV, wireless internet, bicycles, and maid service. That's over $800 for the lodging.

Diving was another $450 for six days including tax.

My total trip cost for one week (including food) was likely $3000.

Mexico will likely be *far* cheaper.

There are some cheap accommodations to be found on Caye Caulker. AirBnB is an option.

I dove with Belize Dive Services and was very happy with the operation. Blue Hole 2x week, Turneffe ect. on the other days.

There are some cheap accommodations to be found on Caye Caulker. AirBnB is an option.

I dove with Belize Dive Services and was very happy with the operation. Blue Hole 2x week, Turneffe ect. on the other days.

That's what I do when heading to CC.

$30US from the airport-water taxi
$25US return for the water taxi

Last time I stayed right at the hostel were the taxi comes in behind the basketball court for $15 a night.

BDS has an 'online' 10tk/$600 and a weekly nitrox supplement.

That was the cheapest part of my last trip there.

BRad

If I wanted to spend over 2000 USD, I would not be in the Caribbean.

On San Pedro / Ambergris Caye, Pedro's is the cheapest I've found (Cheap Belize Hotels in San , Ambergris Caye). Pedro's has a few different options but I think the average is around $60/night plus tax in the low season which starts in June. I'd then suggest sending a quick email to Elbert at White Sands (elbertgreer@fastmail.fm) to see if he can put together a dive package that meets what you're looking for.

But as everyone else points out airfare is going to the biggest hurdle. I'm not sure where you're flying from but for me, flying from Charlotte NC, the price tends to over near $800 for round trip to BZE. I've gotten pretty lucky my last two trips and found the flight for $650 once and $515 the other. But, then you have to add on the cost of the puddle jumper from BZE to San Pedro (~$120 r/t).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom