Belize shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunset

New
Reaction score
Hi

We have been on Bonaire several times over the past years and we really enjoy our independence there. Usually we rent a villa and obviously a pickup, normally at a place that also supplies us with airtanks.
We are no hardcore divers, meaning we dont go scuba 5 times a day. Sometimes 2 times, sometimes not at all and we spend the whole day wandering in the park instead.

This year we wanted to go somewhere else. Could you guys tell us if the experience we would get in Bonaire would come anywhere close to the one on Bonaire? Is there any shore diving at all? Any hotels with house reefs? Are there any diveshops that just rent tanks and let you go without guide, whenever you want?

Thx a lot

Agree with @BurhanMuntasser. I've dived both places and I preferred Curacao, and for the diving needs you describe, it's probably a better fit for you.

I've heard of one average shore dive off Ambergris. I don't believe even any of the atoll resorts have one - they often mention how nice their beach is.

I'll third Curacao. Since you're not hardcore divers there's a lot more to do topside there than Bonaire. Also many of the beaches are shore dives with shops on site if you change your mind - also food.Locals spend the day diving, beaching etc. at sites like Porto Mari or Playa Lagun - both nice dives. And there's about 2 dozen others.

It's mostly low current easy diving - you have to look for a drift dive.

IMO the west is better but it's significantly quieter. About a 45min. drive from town/airport to the Westpunt area. If you're condo people, plan your flights so you can buy food in town b4 you drive out - there's not much in grocery stores on the west side except one in Barber. Centrum in town sells $1 recycked coolers for this purpose.

It's not tropical jungle like Belize but Christoffel Park is a nice area with trees. Curacao is supposed to be a desert island like Bonaire but I must have missed that - it's all pretty green.

Curaçao
or
www.curacao.com

In over 25 trips to Ambergris Caye, I've never heard of a shore dive. Some do go out and dive off of their kayaks.

I suppose it would be possible to shore dive further up island but again I've not been made aware of anyone doing such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom