Belize Sun Dancer 2016 Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddawson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We had another great trip on the Belize Sun Dancer last May of 2016.
We just got the images up last week.

See the following link:
Belize 2016 - Deborah Dawson

This was our 3rd trip on this boat, and we continue to want to go back.
For me, this is really my favorite place to dive in the Caribbean.

Darren

very nice images....thanks for sharing.

Very nice indeed. And a loggerhead sea turtle! Keep hoping to meet one underwater myself.

Richard.

Darren,

Did you take any photos of the Sun Dancer? Top side photos always appreciated.

Darren,

Did you take any photos of the Sun Dancer? Top side photos always appreciated.
No, but if you google, you can find some trip reports have that some top side photos; the Sun Dancer might be the best boat in the Caribbean; it is huge boat that is well maintained.

Downing, here are some topside photos. There were taken 2 weeks after hurricane Earl. I took them meaning to do a trip report, but just never got to it.

Sun Dancer II from shore. The St. George Hotel Pier was completely destroyed. The top deck has about a dozen lounge chairs. Under the cover is a bar with Belikin on tap, and soft drinks in a cooler. The middle deck has the salon and a seating area at the stern. The lower deck is the dive deck and wheelhouse.

DSC00127.JPG

The dive deck. This is the starboard side, port side is the same except the washer/dryers are in place of the bathroom and first aid closet. Note the whips for filling tanks. That's my gear at the end of the bench, a strategic location if you're a cold-phobe. The louvers direct warm air - from the compressors I assume - down onto you. Also a camera table/rinse tank, same on the portside. There is also a rack of shelves on the port side with outlets for charging.
DSC00138.JPG

I'm gonna post this now, and see how it turns out before I do more (luddite here).

Here's the port side. You can see the shelves with charging outlets as well as the camera table/rinse tank.
DSC00194.JPG

From the dive deck looking down on the dive platform. Entry is by giant stride, falling in, turning a flip, whatever. The two blue poles are the safety-stop hang bar that gets winched down at most sites. After the first dive the fins are stored as you see, and the crew thereafter helps you put them on after you gear up and walk down to the platform. As you approach the ladders after your dive a crew-member will pull your fins off and pass them up for storage - what they call "Fintastic service". And I have to say, it's kinda nice.
DSC00178.JPG

Another view of the platform. You can see the emergency air that is lowered by the hang bar. The hook that is tied off goes to the davit used to lift the dinghy.
DSC00181.JPG

Another feature of note: On each side are wet-suit washing tanks with a bucket for masks. The little rope hanging down over the map goes to a fresh hot-water shower for post-dive or whenever you feel like it. I used it to rinse my mask instead of the communal bucket.
DSC00195.JPG

Also a cooler on each side with assigned deck-towels. Mine was 1A, 1st gear location on the starboard (A) side. They were always warm when the crew-member administered a quick neck massage after each dive - no idea if they were just dried or washed-and-dried.
DSC00196.JPG

I was a solo traveller, so was roomed with another solo - a guy from CA. We wound up diving together and it worked out great. Here's a few shots of our cabin. I said I didn't care which bunk I took, so he chose the outboard bunk. As it turned out I got the better deal as you'll see from the photos. We were in cabin 6. I didn't look in any of the others, but most were on the dive deck, with either 1 or 2 on the lower deck with the crew quarters. I didn't go down there. Each cabin has en suite head with shower. There was more than adequate storage - whoever said whatever you pack is too much was right.
DSC00150.JPG

The over head cabinet has 1, not 2 cabinets. The outer section contains the over-bunk light and electronics/switches, and is inaccessible. Each bunk has a big drawer underneath, and there are 2 drawers and a cubbyhole in each bedside table.

The reason I got the better deal, albeit unknowingly:
There was space to store suitcases under each bunk. However, on the outside bunk the closet was blocking access, making the space nearly unusable. No big deal, but just so you know.
DSC00157.JPG

DSC00152.JPG

The head completes the dive deck and cabins. A little close, but completely adequate and not much else to say about it. If you wanted fresh towels all you had to do was ask.
Plenty of fresh hot water. Soap and body wash provided. There was an undersink cabinet for your dop kit, etc.
DSC00156.JPG

DSC00155.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00158.JPG
    DSC00158.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 71
DDawson, sorry for co-opting your thread. I guess I should have started a new one. I really enjoyed your UW photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom