Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StaceyLC

New
Reaction score
Taking my PADI confined water test this weekend. Any pointers? I read the book. It’s a lot to remember. I’m planning on taking the open water test next month while in Belize. It’s still freezing here in MN. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Taking my PADI confined water test this weekend. Any pointers? I read the book. It’s a lot to remember. I’m planning on taking the open water test next month while in Belize. It’s still freezing here in MN. Any suggestions would be appreciated

As stated above, depends on where you go. Any PADI dive shop will do a referral to complete you OW cert. Just be sure and have the shop that you're using now (or do it yourself) send your info to the referred shop in Belize. Easy, greezy.

Where in Belize and how many days will you be there? Is this a cruise stop, or a dive trip or what?
Staying in Placencia. I really hope it's not a cruise stop. I will be there 7 days. I found a place that will do my open water and it will take 2 days.

If you search for Placencia of the forum I think you'll read good things (repeatedly) about Splash Divers, and Placencia is a place people go who want to dive and also enjoy some mainland excursions. Let us know how it goes for you.

Richard.

No need to worry about cruise ship crowds in Placencia. It stops nearby, but the cruise ship line bought a caye and turned it into sort of a Belize Disney Land theme park. So they all hang out there and don't even venture into the village.

As far as pointers on your confined water test, just remember your training and you'll do fine. Same goes for the open water dives. If you're diving with Splash, they'll take good care of you. Ralph and Patty run a first-class operation. I'm sure you'll be nervous, but they'll help you relax and don't forget to have fun.

Lots of stuff to do on the mainland while you're there. You can rent a car and drive yourself around, but for first-timers I always recommend hiring a tour guide. He or she can do the driving, tell you what you're looking at and will take you to some places you might otherwise miss.

No need to worry about cruise ship crowds in Placencia. It stops nearby, but the cruise ship line bought a caye and turned it into sort of a Belize Disney Land theme park. So they all hang out there and don't even venture into the village.

As far as pointers on your confined water test, just remember your training and you'll do fine. Same goes for the open water dives. If you're diving with Splash, they'll take good care of you. Ralph and Patty run a first-class operation. I'm sure you'll be nervous, but they'll help you relax and don't forget to have fun.

Lots of stuff to do on the mainland while you're there. You can rent a car and drive yourself around, but for first-timers I always recommend hiring a tour guide. He or she can do the driving, tell you what you're looking at and will take you to some places you might otherwise miss.

Thank you!!

I'm going for 10 days with Splash to try and dive with whale sharks April 17 to 27. I have a dive package with them and am staying a few days beyond the package to (hopefully) get to see some Mayan ruins. Are guides for that available in Placencia? Do you think Ralph & Patty can arrange such a side trip? Any other must see/do (beside Gellato) while I'm there that R & P could set up?

I'm going for 10 days with Splash to try and dive with whale sharks April 17 to 27. I have a dive package with them and am staying a few days beyond the package to (hopefully) get to see some Mayan ruins. Are guides for that available in Placencia? Do you think Ralph & Patty can arrange such a side trip? Any other must see/do (beside Gellato) while I'm there that R & P could set up?

Yes, there are guides available and Ralph and Patty can arrange it for you no problem. Besides the gelato shop, which is a definite do drop in, there are several ruins close by like Nim Li Punit and Lubaantun, where the crystal skull was (supposedly) found. There are some others that are further away, like Xunantunich. The grandfather of them all is Caracol but that would be hard to do in a day. And there's also Altun Ha, which is fairly close to the BZ City Airport and a great place to go hang out if you have a few hours to kill before you fly home.

Other attractions nearby include Cockscomb Basin, the world's first jaguar preserve, with hiking trails or cave tubing/zip lining and the mainland Blue Hole. And you could take a boat ride up the river past Monkey Town.

So much depends on what you want to do and how long you want to spend doing it. Talk to Ralph and Patty and I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

Have a great trip!

So much depends on what you want to do and how long you want to spend doing it. Talk to Ralph and Patty and I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the reply. I think a trip up Monkey River is included in the package I got. I am SO looking forward to this trip.

Back
Top Bottom