Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m3830431

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was planning a trip to Belize with my wife that does not dive. While diving if not on the boat she would be SHOPPING or on the beach reading a book. In the LDS the other day the co-owner who has a problem with bugs indicated that the sand flies are bad year around.

My wife has a problem with any bugs.

So I asked what about Roatan she said the same problem exist there. I said where isn't there a problem she said Cozumel, partially because they spray for sand flies and partially because there are less.

So my question is what about Ambergris Caye that is close to Cozumel she wasn't never there, How are the sand flies in that area?

m3830431:
My wife has a problem with any bugs.

There will be bugs anywhere you wish to dive because you will be near water. She will need to bring bug spray containing 100% DEET no matter where you go - even Grand Cayman. Bugs are usually worse in the evenings.

I don't recall ever being bothered by sand flies anywhere as long as I wasn't sitting directly on the sand. Only time I've been bothered by "bugs" is in the evenings when they love to attack very white ankles or in a small tank fill hut in Roatan on the boat dock that was a favorite hide out for mosquitos. They don't spray in that hut due to the Nitrox air fill station - don't want to contaminate the air fills!

Don't pick your dive vacations around bug reports otherwise you'll never go anywhere. Just get used to putting on the DEET early and often. Otherwise, stay in WI :wink:

BTW: Cozumel or Grand Cayman are probably best places for a non-diving spouses that like to shop. Not much to do on Roatan, not sure about Ambergris..

The only place we really saw a problem with sand fleas was Roatan. I would not recommend Roatan or Ambergris Caye from what you've said about your wife's interests. Maybe the Placencia Peninsula of Belize, if she likes hiking and nature and such. But she's not going to find shopping there, either (although the beaches are nicer than on Ambergris Caye).

Playa del Carmen, Mexico might be a good compromise...
You can ferry over to Cozumel each morning for a couple of dives while she wanders through PDC shopping to her heart's content. The beaches are pretty good, and some Mayan ruins are nearby (reached either by rental car of group trip).

Dusk/evenings are the worst anyplace, but many places sitting in a beach chair duing the day isn't usually a problem. Another thought is to stay someplace where you can be in a second floor or higher room with a nice waterview balcony to lounge on and read, this should be even safer during the day and provides her another lounging option.

I've not found GC to be a problem bug-wise during the day. ABCs, probably since they're desert islands, seem to be relatively good too - though when they come out they _really_ come out.

Instead of shorts or skirts, lightweight long pants in the evening are a good idea and reduce the amount of bug stuff you need to douse yourself in.

We were in Ambergris Caye last April, our daughter loved to hang out at the beach at our resort (banana beach).. she had no problem with bugs. We are going to Roatan soon and I hear there is a real problem there. But... I heard that about AC also and there wasn't...

now that I think about it, I do remember that our resort and the ones around us were always clearing away the stuff that washed up on the beach at night.. that stuff always had a lot of little bugs flying around it but they never bit us..

We never had a problem with bugs their, but their was two girls that went cave tuben with us, that were at a outside bar the night before and where all bitten up from mosequetos, very good diving.
Ed

Hawaii has no sand flies.

No problem with Sandflies in San Pedro - Roatan was another matter (not so many shops either!!) I love both places but you really have to slather yourself in bug juice in Roatan (i like Burts Bees) Playa del Carmen is also a good choice - great hanging out and window shopping!! (Gosh this is wierd not having central america forum any more!!!) - Hilary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom