Bent in Belize--Blue Hole Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a PADI Staff Instructor I greatly regret PADI's decision to drop tables from their courses .

So what, does PADI expect everyone to buy a computer and carry doubles? I got my PADI AOW in 1990. According to the (c.2005) PADI tables, you get 20 min (including descent time) at 100ft, 10 min at 130 ft. If you go past the ND limits, will you have enough air to thoroughly decompress? I don't care how much insurance I have; I just do not want to risk getting bent, even once.

I wil confess to having skipped about 90% of the posts, but i don't imagine it matters as it's #1 that matters. There isn't a single thing in that dive execution of the lead up to it that's at all out of the ordinary for a tropical dive trip.

However, the (dare I say it!) stupidity of picking up a series of random computers to complete a days' diving is, to me, astonishing. As the OP is an educated man, and an experienced diver, I think that the blame doesn't have far to go.

Let's chalk it us to perhaps too "relaxed" an attitude, and be grateful it was a minor hit. This could have easily ended up VERY badly...

Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Hilariously foolish in retrospect, but it seemed... well, when in Rome...

The computer I borrowed was one that I had been looking quite seriously at buying, so I had read the manual and used the simulation for it several times. So I looked on it not as a mishap, but a serious run of good luck that the only available computer just so happened to be the model that I was just as familiar with as my existing computer.

And yes, you're right, the fault was brain failure on my part. The tropical water doesn't seem dangerous, not even remotely, especially compared to the cold dark currents that I'm used to at home. The brain failure was why I haven't named the shop, because I could have been anywhere, any dive, anybody. I was high on freedom, tropical delight, and I was feeling invincible. I knew the risks, but I figured that my fitness would keep me from being hurt. There's a nonzero chance that my fitness was was kept me alive and kept my hit so mild. BTW, there's still tingling.

As I said before, this thread could have been "Canadian dies in Belize" then you guys would be like "hey, didn't theMagni say he was going to Belize? Hey mag, we really need you to post here..."

"Dude?"

"Damn."

I think about that a lot. Also I'm a lot more careful on dives, because I know that if I do end up getting hurt again, a) I won't recover as easily if at all and b) The discussion on SB will be "The guy who ****ed up in Belize got hurt? No surprises there. What's for lunch?"

Which chamber did you go to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom