Bent valve thingy unusable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadly_risk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Sorry for the precise language, im not sure what this part of the valve is called. Attached is a picture of a Dacor valve, I'm wondering if its still safely usable or should be replaced. :confused:

The inner ring that holds the O-Ring is bent inward in a few places.

Attachments

• dacor_valve_flash_small.jpg
    dacor_valve_flash_small.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 66
I think that is factory config.
It is an oldie though.
A new yoke valve typically only has one of those little "bent" in features. I believe it is to retain the "o" ring in place better.
Chug

The outer face of the o-ring gland is what is important to make the seal and that looks OK. As long as the new o-ring will seal and stay in place, you should not have any serious problem.

Hard to tell since your valve is a bit worn and corroded, but the inner wall often has a deliberate "upset" or two to keep the O-ring from holding trapped pressure after the regulator is depressurized, and making it difficult to undo the regulator from the valve.

Since the pressure is outward, the inside wall doesn't have much to do once the reg is pressurized. So my vote would be to give it a try, and if it holds pressure, use it. And my prediction is that it will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom