Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becky- The last episode showed an In Memoriam to a 28 yearold man pictured in a wetsuit. Did theylose a diver while you were filming?

Becky- The last episode showed an In Memoriam to a 28 yearold man pictured in a wetsuit. Did theylose a diver while you were filming?

I believe it was John Bunce. I also believe he died due to an accidental gun shot - not diving. I read that, but have no actual proof or valid vetting.....just something I read so take it for what its worth.

Becky - there are what? 4 or 5 dredge teams on the show? Do you guys have a camera crew with each one:
For the winter season we only filmed 3 dredges. There were 2 camera teams and we rotated every day to a different dredge so we got a chance to work with everyone. When we weren't there GoPros were used to put on the minor or on the hoses just in case. They were used for specific shots too. If you watch the first episode in the begining you see a shot that is a "point of view" shot through a divers mask.We put a GoPro inside of an OTS mask and I swam it around getting these POV shots for something different. =)

---------- Post Merged on September 13th, 2012 at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 12th, 2012 at 11:55 PM ----------

Florida to Philly!!! Nice....Are you converted Philly sports fan yet!

I live 20 min from Dutch, but, havent been there in over a year.....people around here turn into dive snobs quick. Its NJ on a boat, or nothing!!!

Might head there soon to play with a few new gear tweaks.

Congrats on the shows success!

Yep FL to Philly its been fun and interesting although when i'm working a lot I'm hardly ever here. My goal is to book work in the warm parts of the world during the cold months. Funny story I was so proud of myself for avoiding winter and not seeing snow once this year, then in April I got the call for Alaska. =) I almost made it! FL girl meets ice diving now that was REALITY! lol

---------- Post Merged on September 13th, 2012 at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 12th, 2012 at 11:55 PM ----------

One thing you will find out if you spend some time in Alaska is that a huge proportion of the population does not give a rats ass about certifications, rules and procedures specified by private organizations (like dive certs) and the government in the lower 48. They tend to be very independent by nature and thrive on learning on-the-job. One of the reasons they live someplace that is so hostile is that to an extent its out of reach of the enforcement agencies and they can do what they want.

My guess is some of the divers are pretty competent in what they do, but a diver doing his job properly, sucking up dirt at 20' is boring to watch and ends up edited out. The screw ups and personal confrontations are more "exciting" to watch. The producers focus on the eccentric entertainers. It's not a documentary, its entertainment with a small dose of reality sprinkled in.

Your right we shot a lot of dirt dredging and us as divers might find it interesting. I certainly got a gold mining education! There is a science to this not just dig a hole and get gold. They should do an real documentary on how they find it. You really can see it on the bottom as it gets sucked up. Nome is also really interesting, it looks like the wild wild west in the 1900's frozen over. I fount it pretty fascinating. Plus i hear there are a lot of interesting wrecks and interesting sites there that no one dives because of its location.

During filming did any of the crew get the itch and went looking for pickers? :D

I really like this show. I do find it very amusing that the Lazy Gator guys seemed to have the worst equiptment, but are working together much better than the others and as a result finding alot more gold.

Do they have to get any kind of special permits, or is it just a free for all out there?

Could.believe that zeke wanted Steve to " write a one page apology using his best cursive." For calling him names.

What a pussy

sent using my Droid
sent using emy Droid
sent using my Droid
:outtahere:

Could.believe that zeke wanted Steve to " write a one page apology using his best cursive." For calling him names.

What a pussy

sent using my Droid
sent using emy Droid
sent using my Droid
:outtahere:

I did a double take when Zeke said that.I wonder if he also wanted it double spaced and will grade Steve on his penmanship.

Yea-that was lame. I thought they were a little more rugged up there.

Yea-that was lame. I thought they were a little more rugged up there.

Steve is a "quack f***-up" but Zeke is a freakin whiner.

he might bust his ass working, but I couldn't see him "taking orders" working for the someone... like the Pomrenke's.

The younger Pomrenke would have put a boot up his as and fired his whiny ass the first week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom