Bermuda Dive Ops - Only in Town 1.5 Days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottNY

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

In mid-August, we'll be stopping by the King's Wharf area with Norwegian Cruise Lines. Our goal is to try to get in two days of diving, though we have to be back to boat by 3:00 PM on our second/last day. So we'd prefer something closer to the King's Wharf area.

We've read the threads on what seems to be a few of the shops. We're thinking not Dive Bermuda as we don't want to have to be dealing with a crowded hotel and swimming out to boat with our gear. We're used to diving our own gear and would prefer the usual easy way of rolling the bag on and being done with it.

This seems to leave:
* Blue Water Divers
* Triangle Diving

BWD seems to be in Somerset Bridge area not far from Wharf. Triangle seems fairly far away. Maybe not far in miles as it's a tiny place, but I have no idea if going 10 miles takes an hour and costs $50 here.

It's also possible to go with the cruise ship's dive program. I've never been on a cruise, but as a diver, my past experience is the cruise ship folks are often low-skilled and annoying. (Though this time, I'll be one of them! :shocked2: ) The cost is about $160 via the ship for 2 tank dive, but, but if you add in cab rides both ways, that's probably about the same as going direct with a shop. (And it's likely NCL just contracts with one of the local shops anyway and we'd end up in the same place. We just don't know.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

I've dived with Triangle before and found them to be quite professional. I've never dived with Blue Water, so can't comment on them.

Blue Water is my dive op of choice in Bermuda and is fairly close to Dockyard where the cruise ships dock. Fantasea is a dive op that operates out of Dockyard and primarily caters to cruise ship passengers. It would definitely be the easiest of the two to get to since you practically just step off the cruise ship and onto the dive boat. They will also give you 25% off your dive if you have your own gear so it's really about the same price as the the other shops. You probably have to book that with them though.

Fantasea and Blue Water both are on the northwest side of the island so tend to frequent the same sites. Triangle diving is also a great op but will be a very expensive cab ride. It will take over an hour to get there from Dockyard which makes getting there by the check in time fairly difficult. It is on the other side of the island so goes to entirely different sites.

I lived in Bermuda and actually just returned from a trip there last week so let me know if you have any other questions.

We're thinking not Dive Bermuda as we don't want to have to be dealing with a crowded hotel and swimming out to boat with our gear.

While I have heard good things about BWD and Triangle, and others have provided good info, here are just a few thoughts, to possible reconsider not using Dive Bermuda:

1) The hotel is about a half mile from the beach, and in and of itself has little impact on the beach. The beach itself, while sometimes crowded, does not materially interfere with the dive operations.
2) The "swim to the boat" is perhaps 25 yards, and even at high tide, is "walkable" for at least half that distance.
3) The DB staff will ferry gear, gear bags, and anything else you need out to the Dive Boat on kayaks. It is part of their routine, and they willingly offer to do it.(Out to the boat, and back to shore after the return from diving.)
Enjoy your trip.

blue water and fantasea are the closest to king's wharf, the cruise ship usually sub contracts with fantasea.

blue water divers has lots of local members and does a decent job.
I agree with everything Miked says about dive bermuda, I am also bias as they are the local shop I dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom