Bermuda Fish, What is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divekraz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Found the fish, it's a yellowhead wrasse. Bermuda, July 2005. Diving on reef about 30' depth. Saw a fish, Torpedo shape, About 6" in length, Swims with pectoral fins which are clear. Colors in 4 quadrants. bottom rear is white, top rear orange but more like a wide stripe running into the tail with the rest of the tail being blue with spots, Front top a yellow curve with the top of the head being darker with spots and bottom front, behind gill and under yellow curve almost black. I have a 20 second video of the fish and also pulled out a frame from the video but I don't know how to attach it to this message.If anyone could give me a name I would appreciate it. I have books, computer searches but can't seem to find it. Possibly it's a juvenile. Thanks for any help you can give.

do you mean 6 inches in lengh? not 6 feet, or were you diving in 30 inches of water? Don't find many colorfull fish 6 feet in lenght. Sounds like a wrasse, but I'll have to look...

Sorry about the typo, It was 6" length. The dive shop in Bermuda looked at the video and said it was a Yellowhead wrasse and after looking at all the pictures of wrasse's on my computer of "Fishes of the Caribbean" I found one that was of similar coloring, enough that I'm convinced that's the fish. Thanks for the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom